1. Readable Joe

Readable Joe New Member

No Pen, No Keyboard...No Worries

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Readable Joe, Jul 2, 2014.

[​IMG]

^ That's my first draft so far.
    The three at the bottom are full, the one at the top is getting full and the one off to the side in plastic wrap is going to get full. I estimate I'm currently at 160,000 words. I'm writing this old school in modified cursive writing with a mechanical pencil because they don't run out of ink or decide to stop working on a cold morning (hence, "no pen"). Editing and rewrites are unheard of. At least not yet. Am I writing too much? I answer myself "the story is done when it's done".

Hello, I'm Readable Joe and I'm introducing myself to the wider writing community as of today. Now, we all come to writing for different reasons and we all have different goals. For me, it's the overwhelming need to tell one particular story. Writing is the method I'm using to do that.

I've never had a day where I've suffered "writer's block", but I've had days when I've struggled with the fact there's too much story to tell and I'll never see this first draft finished. Then there's the second draft that will need to be typed up in WORD (but I'm not planning to do that, hence "no keyboard"). But that's still more work I don't look forward to. Writing is a chore for me, but the reward is the story that comes out at the other side, and for me, that's worth it.

So what's my story about?
    It's a coming-of-age story about a boy in a land that resembles France at the time of Louis XIV (think muskets, sailing ships and powdered wigs). The book is filled with adventure (I think) and a strong cast of supporting characters (I hope). One of the things that binds everything together, other than the hero's trials and growth experiences is that the book has a lot of philosophy in it. Have you read Sophie's World? Yes, that kind of level of philosophy.

I've started a blog, here it is [LINK REMOVED]
    and I would be happy for you to join me as I continue my trip through my first draft, then the all important second draft (and beyond) and then how I'm going to get this darn thing to publication. Every time I write, I'm going to tweet for how long I wrote and how many words I wrote. This will make me feel accountable and if you join me, maybe you'll also be motivated to keep writing (and I'll join your Twitter feed to keep myself encouraged!)

I can't give anyone any advice, because I don't know all that much, but what I can do is share my experiences. I've promised myself I would have the first draft done in the next 3 months. The next 90 days are going to be 3 NaNoWriMos for me - I'm working full time and I have a family. But...if you want it bad enough, you'll make the time, right? How badly do you want your novel?

Hope I learn something on these boards, I'm confident I will. If your dream is having your story told, then I'm backing you all the way because we're on the same trip.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    123456789 and peachalulu like this.
  2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Joe. One of the mods will be along shortly to advise on forum rules and the like.

You will find this to be something like a professional study group. There are some members who are published, but most of us are still in the "aspiring" category. We share what we know. It sometimes gets a bit fractious, but there are good people here.

"A land that resembles France at the time of Louis XIV". That's an interesting way to put it. I take it, then, that this is not, strictly speaking, historical fiction. Good luck with it.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Hi Joe! Welcome to the group. I used to write on looseleaf paper on clip boards and then organize them into binders. I have to admit I kinda miss writing exclusively on paper. You project sounds interesting. I've delved into research for one of my writing projects and it is tough!

4. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

Are you writing an essay or trying to say hello? :)

LOL. That's ok. You inspired how I wrote my own introduction. Welcome! To the pair of us. Hehe. :write:

Andrae Smith likes this.
  5. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Welcome brother. If you had intentions of publishing that book your working on now you might one to hold odd on it. I think a few years ago Cogito told me that agents almost next to never pick up first time authors with long novels.

6. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

He could finish it and work on a non-fiction piece to get his name out there. (Reference "Damn! Why Didn't I Write That?")

I also have a suggestion about how you could transfer pen and paper to computer. Ever heard of Live Scribe? Won't help you with that Godzilla MS you have there, but it could reduce paper to computer speeds... a whole bunch! (I hate math.)

7. writable joe

writable joe New Member

For some reason "Readable Joe" isn't allowing me to enter this thread.

Historical fiction would bind me too closely with the course and rules of actual history. I have a few devices and conceits going on that would work better in an equivalent of France.

Good luck with your work. Make the effort to find the time to write. Don't procrastinate! Make yourself a promise!

I'm not going to hold off on anything! I've got a story to write!
    But of course, agents have standards and they are in a business. If I rock up to them with a 300,000 word manuscript and they tell me it needs to be cut down and I say "Don't interfere with my creative process!" they'll just say "well, go and be creative somewhere else".

The truth is I've probably got two novels out of this first draft but that really is a problem for the editing stage. At the moment I just need to get this story out there from my head to paper.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

@writable joe - so I surmised. Sounds interesting. You could also free yourself from some of the historical constraints by writing a story of alternative history, such as Philip Roth did in The Plot Against America. That might relieve you of having to create a whole fictional country. Just a thought.

9. Emily Logan

Emily Logan New Member

(1) *salute* Yes sir! :D

(2) You said it! A story can't wait. It needs to be put down when you have it or it'll fly away never to be seen or heard from again by any one. ;)

Yes, yes, I know, I know... SO GET TO IT ;)

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

So you're never gonna put your work into the computer? :\

11. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hi, @Readable Joe / @writable joe

I remember when I wrote my first major project. I started on the computer because the first two major sections were short stories that I later ran together. I began the third installment in a spiral-bound notebook because I waned to have access to it even if I didn't have a computer. I ended up filling 1 and 1/2 notebooks with that and then another equal amount with part 4.

My handwriting was (and still is) a modified cursive. I became a quick writer, but gained very neat hand writing by practicing. There is something about setting pen to paper (or pencil in your case) that just connects one to the ac of writing. It became my philosophy to write by hand, then type so I could do at least one round of revision from the jump. After a while I realized how much paper was being used between that project and other stories and my personal journals, and I decided to do it all at the computer. Now I'm a much faster typist and my ideas seem to flow more quickly at the computer--which is likely an after affect of being able to type, then retype, almost as fast as I can think and rethink, with no messy red marks, black smudges or eraser shavings.

Your project sounds pretty interesting, and I hope you succeed. Working full time can be hard enough, as can having children. But like you said, if you want it bad enough you can do it. It's like people who do all that and go to school. The time is there if you're willing to sacrifice eating, cleaning, and sleeping sometimes. It helps to have a supportive family.

Wishing you all the best,

Andrae :agreed:

12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the thorough intro! :D Sophie's World is wonderful and blew my mind when I read it as a teen, so it's nice to hear you're aiming for something as ambitious. :)

Please check out our New Member Guide for starters. See you on the boards!

-Kat

P.s. I had to remove the link from your message as per forum rules.