1. Sennett

Sennett New Member

Events per chapter

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sennett, Jul 15, 2016.

Hey, I thought I'd just dump this question here because it has to do with the story so kind of also the plot.

Problem: At the start of my story, my two main characters have to cooperate, but they dislike each other. The result: they have a very turbulent partnership and fight a lot. I also have a couple subplots I'm threading in.

My question: Is it too much to have two 'equally' intense fights in the same chapter? Do you try to have one main event in your chapter, like the story as a whole: rising tension, climax, ending? Do you use a main event of two different plot lines in your chapters?

Good luck with your writing and thanks in advance!

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I do mostly try to structure my chapters that way, thinking of each of them as a self-contained arc or sorts, but I don't think it's impossible that you could write it in such a way that two fairly intense fights in relatively quick succession would make for weird pacing, either. I can see it happening towards the middle or end of the book (depending on when they actually resolve their issues) and just pointing towards escalating tension between them - they can't even keep it together for the span of a chapter.