1. Matt007

Matt007 New Member

Need help with writing style for mystery story

Discussion in 'Crime, Thriller & Action' started by Matt007, Apr 8, 2017.

So I was thinking of doing a Max Payne type of story obviously not the same story but I did like the way the narrative was told through Max like he was remembering and telling the story to the audience that's how I was planning on going about this story or do you guys think I should focus on a different way to tell the story

2. ExpiredAspiration

ExpiredAspiration Member

An introspective protagonist for any first person mystery novel is a necessity, at least in my opinion. So if your protagonist tells the narrative through reminiscing that seems like an appropiate approach, for it can add a lot of personality to the narrative's presentation depending on whoever this protagonist of yours is.

joe sixpak likes this.
  3. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

Only you know your story well enough to know how it should be told. If you want to start writing and (once you've met the forum requirements for workshopping) share it in the workshop, we can help with feedback on how well your chosen voice and pov is working the way you want it to.

4. Soapbox

Soapbox Member

I agree with a lot of the above except for one thing: don't do too much reminiscing. It can come across as passive. Readers want an active voice, things that are happening in the 'now' so that they wonder 'what happens next' instead, what did happen.

That being said, if you're goal is Noir, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. If it's contemporary think of narrators such as 'Life of Pi' and 'The Water Horse'. The beginnings are told in the narrative first person then move to a third person active. Lee Childs 'Jack Reacher,' I've heard, has a few in the series that are in the first person that have done very well.

Whatever POV you think will tell the best story is the most important. The take-away is that it still needs to be in the active 'happening in the moment' sense.

5. W.D.Wallace

W.D.Wallace Member

A Lot of great noir is written in first person. If I remember Max Payne its been awhile since I played it, it has a noir feel. For a mystery story i think first person works because we only see what the MC sees. This keeps the reader in the dark as long as the MC is and allows for a great revolution for the MC and the reader.

6. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

First person mysteries are common. Done right, it's a fun, intimate read. Give it a try. That being said, my mystery stories are third person. I prefer third person, because in first person writing, I tend to explain and share my MC's thoughts and feelings, and the story becomes too melodramatic. Maybe it's insecurity or lack of confidence? I don't know. At any rate, third person allows me to ignore everything about my MC except his experiences and actions. I feel better about my stories this way.

I create separate outlines for the detective, the murderer, and the suspects to map a timeline for all the characters. These individuals do something prior to, and during, the crime being committed. All of the suspects have a motive-generating encounter with the victim prior to the murder. All of the suspects are caught lying about either an alibi, some evidence, or an encounter with the victim. Give the reader every reason to suspect them all. Use the separate outlines to build history for each character, to establish red herrings and legit evidence, and to intertwine the characters in the story. Remember, each suspect has a story to tell. And part of that story is realizing they are a suspect. All items in the outlines will be discovered and revealed through the detective. The final reveal should be justified by the story, and not something that doesn't fit.