1. Ethan Gargantiel

Ethan Gargantiel New Member

Is an antagonist that always pursues the protagonists a good villain?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ethan Gargantiel, Jun 4, 2018.

I was thinking of having the main antagonist be this Nemesis-like guy from the Resident Evil franchise wherein he constantly chases the main heroes. I would like to know if this is a good villain to use in my story because I often hear people say that a good villain needs some kind of motivation to be believable/relatable unless it’s just a natural instinct for them (i.e the shark from the movie Jaws)

Here’s some exposition:

The antagonist was experimented on by a powerful group that aims to overthrow all governments and replace it all with the group’s political beliefs. The antagonist mutates into a difficult-to-kill monster and is sent to wreak havoc to the country. He kills everyone he sees and often bumps into one of the main protagonists (A Lawyer) who is being guided by the country’s general.

Some Guy likes this.
  2. Odile_Blud

Odile_Blud Active Member

I don't see why it can't work if there is a reason the antagonist is pursuing the protagonist. I assume the lawyer character is in some way in the antagonist's way in which case it would make since for him to pursue him.

Ethan Gargantiel likes this.
  3. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Hey there Ethan! A villain stalking the main character is always a good trait, but it sounds to me like you're asking if this trait MAKES a good villain. Don't fall into the trap! This alone won't make your villain good! What I mean is, he'll need a lot more than a knife (or super mutant zombie powers) and the personality of a blood hound to be compelling! He'll need goals, motivations, aspirations, and agendas. WHY is he stalking the protag? What does he want to do when he catches him? Murder him? Alright, but why? What does he stand to lose if he DOESN'T capture the main character?

These are the areas where you can really hook us as your readers! If you give him some good reasons, some complex wants and wishes, we'll be scared every time he shows up!

Hope this helps!

4. Ethan Gargantiel

Ethan Gargantiel New Member

Thank you so much for the tips! :)

5. CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX

CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX Member

A good villain should be an arresting character, perhaps even smarter than the MC. Someone who stands out in the story, not necessarily just a bad man who is an opponent.
    The movie The Black Panther had a really good villain because he was trying to do good but in a twisted way, as was Thanos in the Infinity Wars.

Give your villain some meat, make him someone who just got lost along the way, that makes it more intriguing.

Good luck.

6. Spirit of seasons

Spirit of seasons Active Member

My "villain" Jormond, a very angry dragon, is more like a force of nature. He despises all humans equally, and poses a looming threat throughout the narrative. I think he does a good job of making his presence known without being directly inserted into the scene the in question. Rose feels a tingle of dread every time someone mentions his name, because she is sure one day their paths may cross. Lord Voldemort is another example of a scary villain that only needs a name to instill fear. Jormond represents a insurmountable wall and creeping inevitability of mortality.

John-Wayne likes this.
  7. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Like a stalker, hunting the MC through the story. Sounds fun. Go for it. :)

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Sure it can work. Alien and Aliens does something like that. Also Alien Isolation. :)

John-Wayne likes this.
  9. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Oh, good point. And Predator while we are at it. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. newshirt

newshirt Member

Is the antagonist the killer or the lawyer? Haha! :)

Actually, that could be an unexpected twist. Make the killer out to be a poor soul ruined by evil forces, and the lawyer the true evil antagonist. Find a way to "save" the monster in the end, and dispose of the lawyer, and it could be twisty and fun.