Is condom use always necessary?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Arathald, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep the discussion civilized and non-confrontational or this thread WILL be closed.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I spread the message to all of my Facebook friends (seriously. I did.). Getting the word out, one status post at a time.

Also, one of my friends told me that lesbians should also use condoms. Which I honestly had never thought about before.

3. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Buwhaa? She meant dental dams, right?

4. hiddennovelist

I'm pretty sure, yeah. At first I was like "wha...?" But then it clicked.

5. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Wow, Technically condoms are only for guys (it may be the same idea but its still a under a deferent name)

I guess I will "Try" to make this thread work

OP Do you believe Evey one should use condoms all the time (unless trying to get pregnant or have been checked to be "clean")

or is mostly about homosexuals and condoms?

When is it "ok" not to use condoms?

6. Forkfoot

Whenever I hear fundamentalists saying AIDS is God's punishment to the gays, I think about lesbians and laugh. It's like, by their own argument, even God thinks lesbians rule.

7. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

Yeah, I pointed that out earlier. EVERYONE who isn't 100% sure that they or their partner is clean needs to use protection. End of story.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I was about to make the same post lol - they don't need to be as concerned. If they could get pregnant I wouldn't get the adverts for pots of sperm on my facebook site :)

9. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I think the post is fairly clear that I'm talking about both heterosexual and homosexual sex.

And yes, unless someone is trying to get pregnant, or in a monogomous relationship in which both partners are clean, they should be using condoms (assuming that they are having the sort of sex that would facilitate condom user, otherwise, just whatever protection is appropriate to that form of sex). I'm not sure what the logical alternative to this would be, as having unprotected sex is risky behavior.

When is it ok not to use condoms? Probably in the two aforementioned situations (I would say only, as TheIllustratedMan said, when they are 100% sure their partner is clean, though I also think there's room for just a little bit of doubt, since, for example, you can never really be 100% sure that your partner isn't cheating on you, though you might be confident enough to risk your health on it).

10. art

art Contributor Contributor

There are, of course, contexts in which condom use is not necessary. Examples include, but are not limited to, skiing, the weekly grocery shop and bromantic relationships.

1 person likes this.
  11. Elgaisma

I guess you didn't get the sex ed class with the cucumber and the condom ?

12. art

When shopping for vegetables, prominent among your thoughts is whether or not the item displayed will happily serve as a substitute for a penis should you be called upon to present a sex ed class at the local comp?

13. Elgaisma

When I left school I was fully versed in how to put a condom on a cucumber, a carrot, a pump action aquafresh tube, on and one in inventive teacher brought in a large and oddly shaped selection of parsnips :) After those parsnips I don't think any shape or size of man would be a challenge :)

However there are situations where condoms are not necessary - I have only ever had sex with one man and him with me (he's too lazy to cheat and if he did the woman in question would need a hardrive, backend server, plug with a fuse, and a motorbike engine).

14. art

I suspect your teachers were deriving rather too much pleasure from those classes. Investigations need to be launched!

In the age of the internet, it pays never to get too complacent about such matters...Just a few clicks from discovering peculiar sorts: nerdy, bike obsessed females; compulsive purchasers of willy-shaped vegetables etc etc

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Heh. Art's post reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Forkfoot

^^^ Ha!

17. hiddennovelist

I feel like I really missed out on sex ed classes by growing up in the US. Ours were nowhere near that interesting!

That is pure gold.

18. Elgaisma

I think my education authority was progressive for girls. Remember the local health visitors (nurses with special training) came round when I was seven we were given packs which included sanitary products and introduced to basic idea of sex.

The boys were taken by our rather prudish headteacher - they were taught the importance of keeping ears cleaned and never ever touching girls lol

I left that education authority by time I was 14.

My kids at 7 and 4 thanks to moment of carelessness by their daddy now know a condom is what stops Mummy and Daddy having a baby. I decided to be open about sex with my kids like my Mum was. However one day had following conversation.

Mum is washing dishes as children come in, 'Where did you lot come from?' (meaning which room)
    Daughter picks up a tea-towel and starts to help, 'You know the answer to that Mum.'
    Puts a plate on the side, 'Where were you?'
    'Mum I know you told me that yucky joke about where babies come from. I just don't think we should share it with the boys.' Pulls face and dries another plate.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my then 9-year-old eldest of 5 stairsteps was watching tv back in the early 70s when a psa came on that listed the reasons for practicing 'safe sex'...

she was paying serious attention to it, so i left it on, thinking it would save me some explaining later, since we hadn't had the birds 'n bees talk yet... when it was over, she looked at me with a bemused expression and said, 'mom, i don't get it... if it's so dangerous that you can get a disease, or get pregnant, why don't people just not do it?'

what really floored me, aside from her logical thinking, was that she knew what 'it' was!

20. Arathald

Arathald New Member

Oh, the things kids say... And it's definitely much better to the alternative way of thinking (i.e. damn the consequences), though I'm sure we all (well, I suppose this might only be "most of us") know what happens when the hormones take over a little later on :p

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

for sure!... such as that same little girl getting pg some years later, by her married lover who was a father of 5 [or was it 7?] and had no intention of divorcing to marry her!...

thankfully, it worked out well, since she was smart enough to have her son on her own and gave him a great 'step'father who did marry her [after keeping them well for years] and adopted the boy, plus fathered her beautiful identical twin daughters last year...

22. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

Back to the original question:

Nah bro, you don't need to always wear a condom. Whats life without a little adventure?