Tags:
  1. MissBadWolf

MissBadWolf Senior Member

Is Hades the Grim Reaper?

Discussion in 'Research' started by MissBadWolf, Jan 4, 2020.

Is Hades the Grimm Reaper? I was first calling a character the Grimm Reaper then thought Hades would be a better name as his wife was Persephone.
    Basically the character Hades or Grimm Reaper is the father of my Lady Death with a mortal and I used the name Persephone for the mother.
    Or should I just drop the term the Grimm Reaper and just use the name Hades?

Moderator Note: I corrected the spelling in the thread title from "Grimm" to "Grim" Reaper to aid in general forum clarity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hades is the god who rules the underworld in greek mythology, he isn't exactly the same as the grimm reaper - in greek mythology the god of death Thanatos brings the souls of the dead to the river Styx, the boatman Charon then conveys them across the styx (for the payment of a small fee which is why it was usual to put a coin in the mouth of the dead) to the underworld.

The concept of the grim reaper originated in 14th century europe during the black death although other personifications of death are much older

Also persephone was Zeus's daughter which would make Hades her uncle as well as her husband (and he abducted her and forced her into marriage at that), that kind of incestuous thing was common in hellenic mythology... but the ramifications need to be carefully considered when writing modern prose

Richach, Night Herald, A.M.P. and 2 others like this.
  3. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I'm not too clear -

1. Are you asking if the "Grim Reaper" and "Hades" have historically been considered the same person?

Or....

2. Are you asking if they can be considered the same person interchangeably in your writing?

You can write whatever you want but when using names or concepts that have been used before, there will be people who read your work throughout that lenses.

I always thought that "Hades" was a place, not a person, and I thought of the "grim reaper" as a characterization/personalization of the concept of "death" usually a violent one.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Nope.

Fiender_ likes this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Being a god, Hades was far too busy to attend deaths personally.

In fact, Old Father Time, a development of the Greek god Cronos, is probably closer to the depiction of the Grim (note - one 'M') Reaper, being a bent figure carrying a scythe.

Cdn Writer and Malisky like this.
  6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'm not sure the reaper is a real character in any tradition or culture. Hades was a real god, actually worshiped by people of Greece and had very little resemblance to the reaper other than that their domain is largely the dead. But Hades did not go gather souls, he was simply in charge of the domain once you got there. You were brought there by other gods. The reaper is usually portrayed as just the gatekeeper, who brings you to the other side, then his job is done. Hades did evolve into Pluto, but then the religion and it's gods died completely. Statues of Zeus and Jupiter were converted into statues of Jesus (this is where the long flowing hear and chiseled chest version of him comes from.) Hades shows up a few times in christian mythology, but never in the form of a reaper.

Is the mother supposed to be THE Persephone? Again, this is an actual character in a real (albeit dead) religion.

My main concern with using existing character names is that some readers will wonder if these are other semi-mortal creatures that you've simply given the same name as real gods, or if these are the ancient gods, which of course then brings up the question: where are his brothers? Hades had two brothers Zeus and Posioden, are they part of your universe as well?

The reaper is also also just called "Death." The bible actually made it explicit that "Death" and "Hades" are two different individuals: "I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Cdn Writer and jannert like this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

although in revelations, St John used Hades to mean hell - the modern translation being 'I saw a pale rider upon a pale horse, his name was Death and hell followed him' (which is where the Clint Eastwood Western "Pale Rider" gets its name)

Cdn Writer likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just a tiny point: when I saw your title Is Hades the Grimm Reaper? I assumed this had something to do with the Brothers Grimm, who collected the fairy tales we know and love. I was intrigued. But reading the post and seeing 'Grimm Reaper' mentioned again four times, I think the spelling was neither an intentional link to the brothers, nor was it a one-off typo.

If you're talking about the fellow in the long black robe who carries the scythe—the fellow whom nobody wants to meet just yet—it's 'Grim Reaper,' not 'Grimm Reaper.' :)

Cdn Writer and Xoic like this.
  9. Naomasa298

Japanese religion has "shinigami", or "death gods", ehich are spirits or gods that take humans to the afterlife.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinigami

Cdn Writer likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    I don’t usually say this, but this is one of those cases where Google and wikipedia will get you a much more straightforward and reliable answer than a bunch of forum randos:

Hades.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  11. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

If it were me, I would base my character on either the Grim Reaper or Hades and build a unique character from there with an entirely new name. It would in the end not necessarily resemble the original as the character evolves.

I appreciate that you intend to use either the original god/character, I just think new concepts add more intrigue and clarity.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  12. MissBadWolf

Okay after thinking it through. Grim Reaper is not the same character as Hades in my story or probably anywhere.
    Currently my character’s working name is Hades. Grim Reaper will be not an individual but a type or race that does that job.
    Hades is the lord of the Styx Realm. He and Persephone have at least one daughter and one of the daughter’s real name is unknown at this time, but she is known as Lady Death. Lady Death and her consort has two children whose real name is unknown like their mother’s real name is unknown.

Oh my it is ten minutes until I start work. G0t to go get ready for work.

13. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

For the record, Hades is not generally considered a character of Greek mythology, but rather the Roman interpretation of Greek mythology. In the original mythos, Hades is called Pluto, and the one might find it interesting that the moons of Pluto are named after central characters of the Underworld, which is correctly called Hades.

I blame Disney for messing this up. His name is Heracles, damn it. Also, Rhea isn't Heracles mother, it's Alcemene.

Anyway, Pluto is considered the god of Hades and is famously Zeus' brother. I think calling him the Grim Reaper is inaccurate, as he assumes the archetypical idea of the devil or Satan. That being said, the Underworld according to Greek mythology is much more chill than the Christian Hell.

Cdn Writer and Iain Aschendale like this.
  14. Naomasa298

Err, no - the Roman name is Pluto, the Greek name is Hades.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  15. big soft moose

yep i was just about to say that

Cdn Writer likes this.
  16. MissBadWolf

Some of my Greek inspired characters are Hades, Persephone, and Thanatos.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  17. Naomasa298

I useed to think Popeye's enemy was called Pluto. Wasn't until I grew up that I found out it was Bluto.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  18. Naomasa298

Thanatos is closer to the Grim Reaper than Hades.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  19. MissBadWolf

Problem is that I was thinking of making Thanatos the hubby (or consort) of Lady Death. I do not want to have Lady Death romantically involved with her daddy. Thanatos could work for Hades but not be related to them.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  20. big soft moose

End of the day if these are just character names you'd be better off with names not related to greek mythology... if they are actually supposed to bethe gods concerned you are going to have problems if it isn't accurate

Cdn Writer likes this.
  21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Although the TV show Lucifer manages to get away with (minor spoilers) a whole bunch of Judeo-Christian names and (popular, unscriptural) mythology, yet has a goddess who is the wife of the Almighty and mother of the Angels, yet Jesus the traditional Son is so-far totally unmentioned.

I'm sure that sits poorly with some, but I rather like the show.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  22. Nesian

Nesian Active Member

23. Nesian

Nesian Active Member

Not necessarily. Maybe she can use conjecture to create a link between the two through a culture/people that is historically linked to the Greeks or make a reason why they would make up a lie to cover up the truth.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  24. MissBadWolf

Bummer. I think you are trying to encourage me but I feel discouraged. I know that my ideas are probably not the most original, but if I got to rename the Greek pantheon, I probably have to rename the characters from Egyptian pantheon and Norse Mythology.
    Even Llŷr the only one so far from Welsh mythology got to be renamed. Llŷr‘s daughter Karina can keep her name though.

ooh new posts. I better read it before trying to figure out what other names need to be redone.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  25. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Shit. Apparently my 10 € souvenir book from Greece isn't that reliable after all, lol.

Cdn Writer likes this.