Is it harder to get the truth published?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by matwilson, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Truth has many visions. In a non-fiction book you need to have yr facts 100% right, as it has an exposing nature.

In a fiction book people just want to get entertained, I am told.

George Orwell, DH Lawrence, and many others .... they used fiction to make a point on their vision of the world. I am quite sure they did that with a mission in mind, not just entertainment.

1984 of George Orwell pretty much is close to what we now experience. Big brother is watching you!

FWIW, I am writing a fiction book with some conspiracy behind that COULD BE true.... I expect that would engage the readers more than just pure fantasy, but I can be wrong of course.

2. matwilson

matwilson New Member

I know it's a cliche, but the truth is indeed at least as strange as fiction is.

3. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

This is the weirdest thread I've seen in a while.

4. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I like carrots. They seem more truthful than broccoli. Uh-oh, hot dog!

5. matwilson

matwilson New Member

Have to take the "I" out, to find the truth.

6. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Agreed, agreed, this is a very concrete and indisputable fact. Tell me more about your Twitter account.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Twitter looks funny without the I in it ? might work if you take the w out ?

There is no such thing as a completely unbiased piece of writing - that is history 101. And you removed all the i's it would just be weird to read.

There s no such thng as a completely unbased pece of wrtng - that s hstory 101. And f you removed the t would just be werd to read.

8. matwilson

matwilson New Member

I disagree. The facts are always unbiased. it's called the truth.

9. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

I wrote about truth v fact on my blog a bit ago. :D

The trouble with truth is that most people don't want to believe it because they don't want to know those things actually happen. Most want to believe the human race is more human than "those stories" make it out to be.

We all lie, cheat, steal, curse, ignore, rant, and rage, even on the teeniest scale, we do. We are not above it, politicians aren't above it, salesman, priests, cops, parents, teachers, truck drivers, potato farmers, and hairdressers aren't above it.

We want to perceive that someone is, especially that one we elect to run our government and watch our children but the fact is that we are all flawed.
    Those who are titled "gambler", "thief", "pusher", "mob boss" let us know up front what we are up against.

Yes, some true things may be boring but that's probably because we expect to be entertained. The irony is that when we get what we ask for it usually isn't that gratifying.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

on 'truth' [from my website's 'essays' section]:

11. arron89

arron89 Banned

Facts may be unbiased, but how you write them (down to the individual wording of sentences), which facts you include or exclude and the conclusions you draw from them create bias. We reconstruct history by picking and choosing which facts are favourable to us and creating a narrative based on them, and call that the truth. Truth is never absolute, it's always relative. It does not exist on it's own (there is no abstract 'truth'), it is always created. Even our measurement or recognition of facts is biased by cultural, epistemological concerns.