1. TheMyst7885

TheMyst7885 Active Member

Is it okay I base one of my villains symbols on my cruel bosses favorite symbol?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheMyst7885, Sep 15, 2019.

I used to have a mean and cruel boss that treated others poorly and he had a thing for lions. Is it fine that one of my villains uses the lion symbol in his organization?

Tralala likes this.
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

As long as none of your characters are identifiable with actual people, of course it is.

Tralala likes this.
  3. LandOfFae

LandOfFae New Member

I wonder why you're asking this question, as it seems like there's more to it than you told us. Why did he like them so much?

As Noamasa said, be careful about your character becoming too close a resemblance to that person. If you think they might ever read your stories.
    You could also use an alias for publishing your story if you want to be safe and don't want anyone connecting the dots.

Tralala likes this.
  4. TheMyst7885

Oooh I didn't think about that. Maybe I should avoid the lion symbol then and use something else. He liked lions just as a metaphor. For their strength, courage, pride and accomplishments, he said feeling like a ruler like a lion.

How can I put a twist on it so it's not so much reassembling the real person?

Tralala likes this.
  5. Naomasa298

Use a tiger.

Tralala likes this.
  6. TheMyst7885

Okay but could he still have a similar background to the real person?

Tralala likes this.
  7. Naomasa298

Look - we can't give you a definitive answer to that. YOU have to be the judge of what is acceptable in your stories.

Lots of fictional characters are based on real people. You know those disclaimers at the start of films - "Any resemblance to real people living or dead is purely coincidental'. They're there for a reason, to stop the makers from getting in trouble.

You can do whatever you like in your story. No one can tell you "you can do this" or "you can't do that". It's a decision for you and you alone. All you have to consider is, is it going to have any real-world ramifications?

Tralala and LandOfFae like this.
  8. TheMyst7885

I guess I'll just have to see for myself. Maybe when I have something or some example to show written, it will then be easier to analyze and get feedback on. I'll even mention which parts reference based on the real people.

Tralala and LandOfFae like this.
  9. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Hmm, a cruel boss that has a thing for lions. That's pretty creepy. I just imagine a situation like this, haha.

Me: So, boss, I need to take some time off this Saturday. I know you said we have to work on weekends but...

Boss: Matt, have I ever told you about how lions devour their pray? First they wound them mortally --

Me: erm sir, is there a point to this?

Boss: First they wound them mortally, then they hold them in place with their paws and --

Me: I guess this is a no...

Anywho, I think you're fine. Just don't use his real name, and try to mix this character's traits with some other evil things you have observed. All writers draw from what they see. The best writers draw from many things and mix them together well.

Mish and Tralala like this.
  10. LandOfFae

LandOfFae New Member

Sure. Go ahead and post some :)

I used to draw things without any purpose. Nowadays I try to remind myself on keeping at least an idea behind every drawing or story or character.
    Things that aren't done on purpose will only turn out good once in awhile. You'll have to be really lucky or have a super awesome brain that needs no directions :superthink:
    You just can't permit yourself to be on a lucky streak if you want something to actually turn out well.

Tralala likes this.
  11. Naomasa298

We don't know those people. We won't be able to judge whether it's acceptable or not, and neither will your readers. Only YOU can do that.

Tralala likes this.
  12. TheMyst7885

This made my day :)

I can mix the traits then with other evil characters or other evil or bad people? I'm sure many have done this before.

So does this mean that using some of the basis that is influenced from real life help with the creativity?

Tralala likes this.
  13. TheMyst7885

Oh no no lol. I know that. What I meant was that as I go over some of what I wrote I will explain the parts that are real ..well at least sort of real or closely based on those events and maybe I can get some good feedback on how I can turn that more into a unique fictional piece.

For example, say I mention something like "Phill would wait outside the shop and always start fights with whoever passed by" say that was real and I try to twist it to make it more exciting and not as noticeable to real life and give it a little fantasy sci fi spin to it.

It's the same way Steven King has done in his Novels as just about every story it seems like he's written was based on something but put a spin or twist to it. I want mine to be similar to these actual events that I know happened which I will explain were real but interesting ways I canard to it.

Or "Master J was a martial arts expert and teacher but was cruel and menacing to his young students but the parents never knew about it and the one student that would try to say something would be bribed not to or punished if attempted to" Twist could be like, "this teacher who was trained by one of the top masters has been given incredible amount powers but has secret connections to the government that work a deal with Death or something under the shadows and sets up some bullying tactics where certain kids who get bullied draws their parents to sign them up for his dojo confirming he will make these children's lives better and more confident when reality it's to turn them into ruthless baddies themselves and they serve the one who rules the underworld to chase chaos in this world or something like that" idk what I'm saying anymore :(

Tralala likes this.
  14. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Omg, I use real people in my fiction all the time.

And often in an unflattering light.

It's up to me what I put down in a story. If they didn't want to be portrayed that way, they should have behaved better.

I'm not bitter, or anything.

My novels often touch on the difficult childhood I had, and have really been a life-saver in finding ways of dealing with a not-very-nice past.

15. TheMyst7885

You know something, you're right! I was even thinking of basing off some of it on my own experience I had with bullies at school and from taking martial art classes and I think it can work perfectly.

On another note, I found this information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mark_Kamen

Robert Mark Kamen based the Karate Kid trilogy off of bullies he dealt with at school and based off of bad Karate instructors he met, which also inspired Kobra Kai series which has a similar theme. I never knew this :)

Tralala likes this.
  16. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Thanks for that. Interesting.