1. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

How do I avoid formatting issues when posting to the Workshop?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by obsidian_cicatrix, Sep 11, 2013.

I need a bit of advice, or at least a nudge in the right direction, regarding formatting. I'm utterly clueless.

I've noticed that sometimes, when posts are made in the Workshop, formatting appears to get lost. I vaguely remember reading a post where it was explained that copy and pasting from Word will do this. Does this still hold true since the update? I originally wrote up in Word, but have recently started using Scrivener, to try and tame my slip-shod organisational skills. Does this make any odds? (Apologies if this is a daft question, like I say, I'm clueless.)

I'm just about at the point where I feel comfortable enough to put my work up for critique, but I want to make sure it looks as I intended, and that it doesn't give any potential reviewers a massive headache trying to read it. I know that's something that puts me off from the outset.

Any suggestions, or links I could check out would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I too am noticing some unusual formatting artifacts since the change of platform. I'm on a Mac and also use Scrivener. When I copy paste from Scrivener or from Stickies, I get double spaces between paragraphs that should be single. Something SUPER odd has been happening the last couple of days when I copy paste from Word, but it isn't restricted to the forum, it happens in F/B as well. I copy paste and it shows up as a .png image when I paste. I've no idea how/why this would happen. :confused:

3. obsidian_cicatrix

Funny you should say that... I've been having similar issues.

I wonder what other options there are? I've had an idea or two to try and get around this, but I'm starting to wonder whether I should just forego the copying and pasting and just write it up from scratch as I would do with any other post.

4. Wreybies

Do you mean to say that you too are getting the .png anomaly, the double spacing, or both? As for typing in place... tedious. When I critique work for the forum, I pull it away to stickies or Scrivener where I can have at it without worrying about internet connection or timeouts and the like. When you live on a wee tropical island, internet can sometimes be a dodgy affair.

5. obsidian_cicatrix

Ah... sorry, Wrey—the .png anomaly.

I have yet to post something I've copied and pasted, so I really don't know about the double spacing.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you read How to Use the Writing Workshop? Your question is addressed there, albeit briefly.

7. obsidian_cicatrix

I have indeed... I wasn't sure whether the update made a difference, but obviously not. I'm still a little fazed, so I reckon I'll just hedge my bets and type it directly, to be sure. Ta, for the link at any rate.

8. Wreybies

The link now actually gives somewhat incorrect information. Formatting is actually not "lost" now as much as it's misinterpreted by the new platform when copy pasting. My pasted text no longer loses line spaces, it multiplies them by two upon posting. In fact, the new platform is much better at handling complex formatting in the copy paste function, to the extent of even preserving links that perform correctly when pasted from other sources.