Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Disney subliminal messages!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fantasy girl, May 16, 2009.

hi guys, i was looking at disney wiki page and i read something about subliminal messages. i've found a few like the word 'sex' is written in the pollen in the lion king
    and 'good geanagers take off your clothes' in aladin (said twice)
    but i was wondering your views on this as i want to write an artical about it for the school paper it dosn't just have to be disney just subliminal messages in general.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I don't remember if I ever checked the "sex" thing in Lion King...but as for the Aladdin one, my sister's best friend told me that he says "take off your clothes" when he's on the balcony with her after first finding the genie and becoming Prince Ali. I listened to it over and over and over with the volume on my TV all the way up. Maybe it's just me, but it didn't sound like he said "take off your clothes."

There is no doubt in my mind that animators find little ways to slip stuff like that in for funsies. I don't know if I would consider drawing the word "sex" into pollen a subliminal message, though...maybe if it was "go have sex" or "sex is bad" or something like that. Just the word sex itself doesn't seem like a message so much as a little something to give the animator something to giggle about.

3. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

I don't know, i'm not trusting merely on hearsay, need some actually photos or screenshots...

4. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I always thought he said "take off your claws" since he was talking to a tiger and all.

5. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Wikipedia is not particularly trustworthy, and neither are photos that you can find on photobucket because, well, I alter a screenshot using Photoshop, and it took me a grand total of two hours to learn.

Some of them are real, some of them are not. For intsance, some of the things in Aladdin are real (I dont have the time or the care to actually check out any other claims), but then again there's also a 'screenshot' during the wedding of the Sultan that I know was photoshopped.

The subject of subliminal messages for an article carries potential; any subject does. It is the power of the pen the writer wields that makes the difference. But my only advice to you is that if you include Disney, or any other claims in your report, you definitely need to check out the claims yourself. Rent Aladdin, The Lion King, whatever. (They're great films anyway.)

As a journalist, something that I see in a lot of school reports and actual printed articles from younger journalists is that they're mind has been made up before the interview or research is conducted.
    Dont do that. Go into it with the most open of minds and you'll develop an article that sings.

Good luck!

6. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Kinda like every documentary ever. Well, ok, certainly not every one, but it seems like most that I've seen are that way and you can always tell.

7. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

[​IMG]

And just in case you can't see it:
    [​IMG]

YES. THAT LOOKS COMPLETELY INTENTIONAL. :rolleyes:

8. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

it says 'sey"

9. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I have read, but not confirmed, that in the 60's when subliminal messaging hit the public hype spotlight, congress never actually outlawed them. The bill went the floor but did not pass. That means that they COULD add subliminals to movies/ads/political campaigns and it would be 100% legal.

10. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

thanks for all your relplies.

11. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

I'm a Disney freak. Dare I say those films are FLOWING with a whole world of sexual subtext, and many other little things the astute observer will spot.

To add to what's been said, the priest in 'The Little Mermaid' has an obvious erection that's very visible... it's not even possible to interpret it as anything else...Oh, la la!

12. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I read somewhere that the "Sex" thing in The Lion King was actually intended to be read as SFX -- shorthand for the special effects guys, who put that in there as a kind of hidden signature.

13. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is littered with hidden jokes

The Infamous shot of Jessica's crotch (removed by Disney on later releases)
    Prostitute messages on the wall in the toon town toilets
    The Cartoon train with people being murderd in every window.

14. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

in the rescuers there is a naked women in the window.

15. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

It depends on the movie you watch. Snow White has a few if you have the original vcr tape. If you have the original Rescuers as well, there is a part when they are flying on the seagull (first time) where they have a non-animated girl posing topless in one of the windows (have to slow it down frame for frame). On top of the castle on the original cover art of the Little Mermaid is a female sex-toy, and depending on the angle you look at from the priest, you can see he has an erection. It all depends on how you take it.

Here's a site that has taken the time to find out what is true and what is false.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/films.asp#lionking

It's a great site for solving controversy.

16. hiddennovelist

That site says that both the Little Mermaid ones are false. I thought maybe it was because they weren't talking about the original, but then the Rescuers one was true.

17. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

An organization as huge and insular as Disney is bound to have a mythos created for it eventually. If you grew up in Central Florida like I did, there are even more urban myths that relate to the actual park itself like:

On Main Street in the Magic Kingdom there are many false door fronts. It is believed that some of these 'false doors' are not so false and that if you know a special secret knock, you will be allowed into secret hidden clubs. :rolleyes:

18. hiddennovelist

My new goal in life? To be let in to one of these secret clubs. Time to move to Florida and get one of those year passes...

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Reminds me of the basement tunnels at MIT. If you knew which paths to take, including cutting through labs and storage rooms, you could reach nearly every building on campus. The routes changed over the years, though, as some routes were blocked off and others opened up. I imagine they're probably a lot more restricted now.

There was at least one video game (Infocom's The Lurking Horror) and a movie or two set in those tunnels (or a reasonable facsimile).

None of the tunnels would take you into the Center for International Affairs office...

I can imagine a warren of tunnels and chambers under the Magic Kingdom. Maybe even an entrance into the Great Underground Empire.

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

...where the waxen form of Walt himself is entombed, Lennon-esque, in a glass sarcophagus for the mouse eared masses to worship. :rolleyes:

21. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

the rescuers one was admitted to, it was put there as a joke and never editied out, the guy was then sacked!
    and the random placing of SEX in the movies, some of them do say sex but most of the old ones actually say SFX as this was the initials of the grafix designer at the time.

some of the stuff MR disney ccame up with though, like the hefalumps and woozels scene in whinni the pooh is mental, he was on drugs when he came up with this one so whats to say he wasnt in some of the others and didnt know what he was doing?

some people might think im justifying the happenings but im not, im just stating facts!

22. hiddennovelist

Is it fact that he was on drugs, or just speculation?

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

...And in a hidden alcove, a tank of milky white fluid keeps an aging brain alive and alert. Multimedia feeds into the tank keep him informed and entertained, while he awaits the technology that will allow him to walk free and to openly regain his media empire.

24. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

yes it is a fact that when he came up with this scene he was on drugs

edit: just found another one, 6/7 of the dwarfs in snow white are named after the affects of smoking canabis, then you go see the Doc'

25. hiddennovelist

Can I ask where you're finding your information? I'm not doubting you, just would like to read it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.