1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Is my character too brutal to women?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheDarkWriter, Aug 22, 2012.

Okay I realize that most protagonists aren't violent with women but this is essentially my main character. If you were a mean girl in High School and tried messing with him or black mailing(while holding what ever you had in front of him) he'd do one of three things.

1. Beat you bloody until you gave him what it was you had.

2. Find away to get leverage on her and then storm roll the girl into dust completely breaking them.

3. Completely humiliate her publicly and keep the pressure on until the girl gave up.

In truth he has a very "I'm not going to take shit from anyone." attitude.

2. nomadpenguin

nomadpenguin Member

The first one is the only one I could see people objecting to. Beating women bloody definitely might offend people.

3. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Numbers two and three are the more realistic actions. Number one would be the less likely one of the bunch.

As to people hitting women, my MC is a woman, and she's been hit by men before, kicked men's ass, and anywhere in between.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Whether he's attacking men or women, he sounds pretty irrational, explosive, violent, and sadistic. Not, in other words, easily likable.

5. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

The main problem that you are going to face has already been talked about, but you will have a long road to making this character likable. The only way around that problem would be if the women he was abusing were nasty, terrible people, and the reader felt that they deserved his treatment.

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

There are horrid people in world.

Is there a Knight in Shining Armour in your story, a hero to rescue a maiden, add balance and give your brutal character the comeuppance he deserves?

7. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Well to be honest the woman he's brutal to is actually a real piece of work who has actually killed someone he loved and has messed with him on more than one occasion. Hence why he's so brutal because this woman has caused him a lot of pain and suffering. Him going at her like that is actually her comeuppance.

8. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Seconding this. But, the main character doesn't have to be likeable, so maybe that was your intention? If these were just high school "mean girls," physically assaulting them, or causing some kind of serious emotional trauma, is pretty extreme, and it really shouldn't be glorified in any way. Sure, your character can do awful things, but you shouldn't try to sway the reader into thinking that it's acceptable just because these women were "mean."

Going by your second post, though, it sounds like it might be just one woman? In that case, it would depend on how she's written, and what it is that she's done. Since she's already killed at least one person, she's obviously more than a bitchy high school girl. If she's written as a proper villain, instead of a generic "mean girl," and poses a serious threat to your protagonist, then it's fine to have him fight back.

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

This is why it is often pointless to post this kind of question - because the reader will make his/her judgment on your character based on the sum total of what you tell in your story, not just a single incident. Moreover, it isn't clear to me whether your goal is to have your MC likeable, or if you are aiming for him to be flawed but sympathetic. For example, Sampano in "La Strada" was pretty despicable through much of the film, but you couldn't help but ache for him at the end.

10. writerwannabe13

writerwannabe13 New Member

Given what you said throughout the thread-- my humble two cents-- It would depend on the type of story you are going for. May I ask if this is a futuristic story set in present time or some sort of alternate universe?

I can see ideas 2 and 3. As for number one that does get kind of tricky. I mean I grew up watching Xena so IF the combatants are equally matched say they are both judo experts and it is a fight like that I'd say I'm okay with it. NOW if it is just out of revenage I might get uncomfortable.

May I ask what way are you going with the story? Is it just a commentary on human nature the way we are OR are you trying to inspire someone to do better than our nature makes us?

Does he realize how in a sense he is becoming like the mean girl himself and better himself by not going down that road fully --in which he is beatting her and has a realization it is wrong OR is it just revenge and the reader themselves are suppose to get the message.

Third option is that I oversteps myself and read too much into all this?:confused:

11. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

There is no such thing as "too brutal". Whatever you can think of, there'll be some terrorist in Africa, some pimp in Las Vegas, some serial killer in Los Angeles that can one-up you.

12. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

2 sounds the most likely. kind of like how i have a taped confession from my ex about her trying to black mail me.

13. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

The only way I would find this kind of jerk acceptable as a character is if he gets what he deserves for brutalising the girl. To me, the most pathetic men are those who use their superior physical strength to "deal" with women (and yes, even if the woman is a "real piece of work"; then he is no better than her).
    So, if you are trying to make this guy into a protagonist, I imagine only male chauvinists will find your story entertaining.

14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

If you make this woman the MC's complete equal - so say, sure the man can be physically stronger but the woman is stealthy - either way, make her a real competition rather than just a weak woman who can't defend herself. That's the difference. If you make the woman win by craftiness and maybe allow her to beat the guy at least once before this scene, you'll probably have the audience egging the MC on even if he did beat the girl bloody.

The real key here is - make the woman a real equal, real competition, and I think it'll be fine whatever you choose.