1. Christopher Mullin

Christopher Mullin Member

Short Story Is My Writing Style Going To Work?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Christopher Mullin, Mar 16, 2018.

I have spent the best part of the last year building up a collection of short stories, under the loose umbrella of Dark Speculative Fiction. However, i consider myself a "story-teller" first and "author" second . As a result, my stories are always plot heavy, with just enough location detail to let the reader build up the locations in their own minds and i tend to let the situations dictate character development - which again i keep to a minimum as my style is all about telling the story.

My question is, are there other people out there like me who don't want pages of description or inner musings all the time, and are happy just to be told an entertaining story?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Of course there are. *raises hand*

I literally just finished Martin's A Storm of Swords last night on my kindle. I already bought A Feast for Crows and now I'm wishing I hadn't. Don't get me wrong, it's a good story, but the pages and pages and pages of meticulous description.... It's too much. TOO MUCH! I know what Winterfell looks like already, George! You don't need to draw me a schematic (in words) every tenth page! And ffs, enough with the hyper-detailed clothing descriptions from every character's POV. You're writing in revolving 3rd person close, not 3rd person omniscient. Not everyone in the world can be this interested in fashion sense that the characters - all of them - would be this detailed in their observations. It's called narrative intrusion, George. NARRATIVE INTRUSION!

3. Christopher Mullin

Christopher Mullin Member

I agree. Felt the series told a great story, but had to sift through a lot of, what at times seemed unnecessary, description. I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels sometimes writers need to get to the point!