1. releaseyourself

releaseyourself New Member

Job Interview - Been asked to write a critique?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by releaseyourself, May 4, 2011.

Hi there,
    I have a job interview in the next few days and i have been asked to write a critique.

Now i don't quite understand what they really want from me and i hope someone can help.

Here is part of the email of what they have asked for.

'For the interview, could you please prepare a one page (half page for each) critique for ......... Website and ........... Website. Please also bring with you any other materials that you feel would further your application.'

The Websites/magazines deal with digital cameras and the outdoors.

Do they mean write a critique on one of their articles? Or of their websites? Or do they mean write a new review for each website/magazine?

Thanks. :confused:

2. LaGs

LaGs Banned

Maybe you could write a short email to them just to clarify? Asking this forum isn't gonna do you much good :confused:

3. releaseyourself

releaseyourself New Member

The interview is actually tomorrow, so not enough time. :(

4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

By the wording I would assume they mean the website itself (but I don't know that, I'm a random person on a forum so it could aslo mean nothing of the sort). Also, since you don't have time to ask I would work my butt off and do both, then when I go in say "I'm sorry, I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking for so this is what I did." Also you didn't say what job you're interviewing for, which may help give a clue of what they're asking for.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I agree that it sounds like they want a crit of the website itself.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you really need to ask them, not us... what kind of job are you applying for?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If the interview is tomorrow and you don't know how toi approach it, I fear this job is not for you.

Critique takes practice, and that is why we put such enphasis on learning it in our Writing Workshop.

You can learn it, and it is worth learning. But not overnight.

8. nzric

nzric Active Member

Depends what kind of job you're applying for - website designer, graphic designer, copy writer, marketing, database manager, programmer ...??

Take a look at the full Position Description (which you should have) - rather than the job advert. Look at any items in the PD that relate to any kind of activity that could be connected with website/marketing material. That'll be what they're looking for you to demonstrate.

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I can't tell whether you're supposed to write an article that could appear on the website (the phrase "for website..." suggests that) or if you're supposed to write a critique of the website (the phrase "critique" and the fact that you'd have access to the website and not the products suggests that.)

I guess you could do both, thus producing four documents - write critiques of the websites, and then pick a camera and an outdoor product and write a critique of them. Since you don't actually have the products, the critiques would essentially be works of fiction, but they should still give an idea of your writing style.

ChickenFreak