Tags:
  1. wrabel

wrabel Member

Is she in love?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by wrabel, Jul 21, 2018.

I have a character in my book named Marli who (because of an abusive situation at home) left California and started traveling across the country. She has a passion for music, and she follows bands to their concerts- hitchhiking and buying bus tickets. She has been on the move since she was 13 and is now 18. She settles is passing through NYC when she meets Madeleine and they start dating. She decides to stay for three months because one of the bands she follows will be passing through then so she decides to follow them when they leave, but when three months is up she realizes she is in love.

I plan on having her leave and then come back when she realizes that she made a mistake and being with Madeleine is worth the risk. At this point, Madeleine has finished school and decides to travel with her so Marli can keep her lifestyle. Does it make any sense that Marli would leave in the first place? I don't want it to seem like she cares about traveling more than Marli, because I think a big part of her leaving is the fact that she was raised in an abusive household and is afraid of being tethered to anyone. To her, being trapped in one place is linked to the abuse.

I guess my question is, would you (as a reader) think that Marli was actually in love with Madeleine if she decides to leave. Would you be pissed at Marli?

2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I think this sounds like a reasonable conflict for this character. She has been on the run for 5 years and is frightened of being trapped. Her desire to stay and settle down terrifies her, but then she realises that being without Madeleine is worse. She faces her past trauma, somehow overcomes these feelings, and goes back to be with the woman she loves. This seems like a rather lovely piece of character development and if anything should endear the reader to her.

wrabel, Jenissej, Komposten and 2 others like this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I agree with @mashers, it seems very in character to me.

Plus, she's 18, and there's a whole lot of 18 year olds out there with non-abusive histories who don't want to be tied down at that point in their lives.

wrabel likes this.
  4. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Senior Member

I do, in some ways it might make Marli realize how much she is in love.

wrabel likes this.