Tags:
  1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

A silent idle ?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Sep 17, 2017.

Major brain freeze on this. I'm describing an electric car, and while this sounds correct, I'm not sure it is.

The Mitsubishi fired, gave the slightest judder, then relaxed and fell into a silent idle.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I' not sure about relaxed, but other than that it sounds okay except petrol/diesel car engines are virtually never silent when running even at idle

Maybe fired, gave the slightest judder then fell into a gentle idle

If its an electric car the engine neither fires nor idles, the engine just engages when the car is moving and turns itself off when stationary

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

It is electric, I say so in my second sentence :D

And sure that's how electric cars behave when running, but you still have to start them when you first get in.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You just turn them on with the key or the card or the button or whatever, the dash then comes on showing battery state and what have you but the engine doesn't do anything until you move off... when you press the accelerator down they start and move off, they don't sit there stationary ticking over.

Hybrids are different in that the petrol engine will fire up initially so the system can report it works and that its there to be used when neeeded

5. OurJud

Although you are correct about it not firing. Thanks.

6. surrealscenes

surrealscenes Senior Member

Each company adds sound to electric engines.

7. OurJud

I think this discussion is redundant now (in fact it was from the start). I fell into the trap of describing something mundane, simply because I wanted to convey a future setting. If the setting had been present day I would not have gone to such lengths to describe the starting of a car, and the same logic should apply regardless of setting.