1. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Is it personification?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by teacherayala, Sep 12, 2011.

We have been studying personification, in which an inanimate object is given qualities of a human being. My student then asked me "What is an object is given qualities of an animal rather than a human being. Is it still personification?"

Good question. Errr....Umm...

I don't know exactly WHAT you would call it.

For example if a buzz saw, such as the one in Frost's "Out, Out" behaved as an animal by "snarling."

Any ideas?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Good question.

I suppose you could view attribution of human characteristics as anthropomorphism, and personification as something more broad. Or maybe the term 'animism' would describe a broader attribution of human or animal consciousness to inanimate objects.

Just some thoughts. Not sure, to be honest :)

3. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

We've discussed "anthropomorphism" also as being something broader, where animals/ plants/ forces of nature become the main protagonists of the story, driving the plot, but I'm not sure if even that describes giving animal characteristics to an inanimate object...

Hmmm...

It is a tricky one, huh?

I'll look up "animism" and see what it says...

4. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

From what I've read, "animism" is more of a religious thing, in which everything in nature is given a "spirit." Although we're getting closer to answering the question, I think? Anyone else have any ideas?

5. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Personification is ascribing an abstract idea in absolute human terms. (Mother nature, Father Christmas)

Anthropomorphism is the application of human traits and characteristics to non-human but otherwise not abstract ideas. (Micky Mouse, Winnie the Pooh) - Usually seen in animals or natural/supernatural phenomena.

So, I guess the answer lies somewhere in-between. It would be dependent on the use and how you are applying it.

"The phone sat still" / "The phone was quite" = personification

"The phone snarled angrily" / "The phone bit my ear off" = personification because we're rending human like traits and qualities in absolute human terms.

"Angry phone" / "Timid phone" = anthropomorphism

"Jimmy the Phone relayed my morning messages." / "The phone even unhinged of its cord still continued to listened to musings and woes, giving me pearls of solace and comfort.” = anthropomorphism as you’re attributing human like characteristics to a non-human but not abstract object/idea. It does get confusing as you usually see anthropomorphism with tangible non-human living things but it can be applied to inanimate objects.

And all of this is not to be confused with metaphors: “The phone is the electrical pulse of my heart-beat”

And smiles: "The phone was like the dead"

6. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Theriomorphism: the ascription of animal characteristics to humans.

7. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Gallowglass, I love that you know that word! I didn't really know it before. However, if the buzz saw is not human, but is an inanimate object given animal characteristics, it doesn't fit the definition of theriomorphism either. ,sigh> I'm getting closer though, I think!

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I had to do some rapid wiki'ing. Zoomorphism - the shaping of something in animal form or terms.

Cheers.

9. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Thanks, psycho! lol! And I mean that in a good way. Now I am armed with some new words that I can email to my student. :)

10. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

From what I understand, anthropomorphism is just a sub-branch of personification, no?

11. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Yep. And remember that the "Zoo" is two syllables -- "zo-o".

12. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Got it! I definitely passed it on to the kiddos.

13. The term you are looking for is anthropomorphism I am 100% sure. We are discussing this in Canadian Fiction at my university.

14. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    No, anthropomorphism relates to human characteristics (from the Greek "anthropos", "human"). Teacherayala asked about animal characteristics. Zoomorphism is correct (from Greek "zōon", "animal").