Is there a Pet Peeves thread? If not, why not...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Jan 20, 2016.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

A Mont Blanc fountain pen is an early, expensive word processor. It uses physical paper instead of the cloud. It's slow and inconsistent, but at least it makes your work look like yours and not like everybody else's.

matwoolf likes this.
  2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

...well, I couldn't think of anything else to contribute...

not that I'd mind a Mt Blanc pen, just on Thursday the notion popped into my head. A while back I disliked, only a little bit, somebody who was really into their pens, but I suppose the antagonism has disappeared. Maybe swing music? I don't like all that ratpack stuff, or the 1940s tribute acts - 'He's a coochiewoochie, woochie, can't remember it properly, though ever since Michael Buble sang to a baby in the mother's tummy, I kind of appreciate that chap, made the family watch his Christmas special, it was awful. Lenny Henry [British idiot], don't like him, but then nobody does...

All actors ever? Oh, how about men who wear their babies in slings on their stomachs:

'Ma baby, look at ma baby. I got baby.'

People who wear trainers? People who call me 'mate.'

Ah, people who speak in a constant series of rising inflexions are irritating. People who point them out are equally annoying. It is very difficult to remain rational most days really, I'll think on..

Witchymama, jannert and BrianIff like this.
  3. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I occasionally carried my son in one of those sling things, I wear trainers and call people I've never met 'mate'.
    I truly am a contemptible bastard.

4. matwoolf

There was this guy in the chemist. I was waiting for my prescription. He was wearing his baby, being all authoritative with the cashier about calpol - looked like he had a whole back-catalogue of Oasis albums. His wife came in, she was tiny. They were younger than me, something annoying about them both.

Not that I didn't jig my own little darling round the room to Wonderwall, and Hendrix, Manic Depression back in the day, just...well, boy's a folk guitarist now, or tramp is the old-fashioned word.

outsider and jannert like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Naw, just a walking Pet Peeve. :)

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I don't know why anybody would object to slings. Buggies are 10,000 times more annoying.

KaTrian and jannert like this.
  7. matwoolf

How about photographs of Prince George? I don't like those, like to smash his smug little face, that stupid haircut and sandals.

arkadia, jannert and outsider like this.
  8. Tenderiser

Ah, but does he wear socks with the sandals? That should be an instant death sentence.

Witchymama and matwoolf like this.
  9. matwoolf

No, I like that scene, it is continental.

BrianIff likes this.
  10. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Just got reminded of another pet peeve. Communities that won't let you join without a real photo of yourself. They quote safety and security reasons for their members but that doesn't quite make sense. Besides not wanting my photo littered around the internet, I don't see how it will make me safer to know what someone looks like from their online pic which may be years old anyway or just plain fake. I also find it weird to post photos of myself to a group of people I don't even know yet and violates my idea of privacy.

Why do these communities not simply have events that allow people to meet in safety and be happy with that? We all go to advertised events without knowing what the people look like that will be attending, so how is this any different?

A bit annoyed atm, I don't like being pressured but I might just give in for the sake of research....grrrr

11. Frankee_thecat

Frankee_thecat Member

(ARCADIA, I meant to reply to you up there^ but made a mistake and it is here instead.
    Sorry everyone, I can't change it)

Yes, you are right - a serious problem...but it leads to lots of pet peeves, don't it?

Hey and I've thought since that the basic problem with morality form law vs morality from the bible, is that it gives us a 'floor to stand on', whereas we used to have a 'roof to reach to'.
    What do you think? You picking up what I'm putting down?

12. TheoremAlpha

TheoremAlpha Member

My single biggest pet peeve right now is people who always have to be right, and don't realize how wrong they are.

Then go out of their way to prove their right, not understanding the information that they are pushing forward. And doing so in a condescending manner like their "Knowledge," makes them superior to you.

Witchymama likes this.
  13. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

Now that I'm paying attention to the various locations people are from I don't know how well this will translate, but people carrying around passports as every day IDs are kinda getting to me.

My state issued driver license costs $8 to renew every 5 years and gives me access to every product, every service, and shows authorization to work every job within 1,000 miles East or South, 2,000 miles North and 3,000 miles West, as well as the global reach of the internet.

If I need to prove citizenship I can replace a Social Security card for free, or get a Certificate of Birth for $12 in a few days.

But I'm asking people for ID to cash their check and they hand me a $400 passport with no stamps. What are you doing? Lock this up somewhere. Or at least travel with the damn thing.

You lose a license, you head to the DMV. You lose your passport and you have to call the damn State Department, file a police report, and fill out a new application with a $110. Blah.

Witchymama and jannert like this.
  14. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

A new one, very minor but...

I notice some members will reply to a thread when they didn't read the OP, just the subject line. (you can infer this from their reply).

Just saying. :supershock:

15. lastresort

lastresort Banned

Is people who look grumpy all the time and just can't smile!

Raven484 likes this.
  16. arkadia

arkadia Member

Yes, he's dressed like a child in the 1940s. Before William and Kate were even born. The monarchy is getting more and more outdated.

Men who wear a button-down shirt with tie.

This is such a basic style faux-pas. It should not be done.

How can people not know this?

Even the awesome Glenn Greenwald did it, in the awesome documentary CitizenFour.

If you are in a button-down shirt, then either don't wear a tie....
    Alternatively, if you want/need to wear a tie; choose a shirt that isn't button-down.
    How hard is this?

Plus it's such a conscious mistake! I imagine you actually have to undo and redo those little buttons as you tighten the tie. Alarm bells should be ringing at this point!

I understand that there can occasionally be situation when this can't be avoided - but how can people go to a talk-show on CNN wearing a button-down shirt with a tie?

If their excuse is that they are men, colour-blind and can hardly tell their own shirts apart — then where are the women in their lives?

Yes - I know that there are children starving and NSA is listening to all our calls... it's "pet peeves" right, so minor stuff - this bugs me! Before you say - "how is it your business? why do you care".

Well I also give women a friendly hint in case they didn't notice there was a major run or hole in their tights, or if the slit cracked or a blouse button came undone.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    jannert likes this.
  17. lastresort

lastresort Banned

If anything gets on my goat, it's the lack of a pet peeves thread. Sheesh!

18. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Since I started working part time at a grocery store stocking the shelves, I have grown to hate canned foods that the cans don't stack inside each other. I don't know why, but almost know canned fruit is made so that the cans can stack inside each other thus making my job much easier. :supermad:

19. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Here's one I've cooked up a few days ago...

Copied and pasted from my post in the Bethesda Forums, titled 'Pet Peeves':

- When posters who are supposed to be native English speakers type as if they've never seen an English word in their life, or type as if sending out a quick text message.

- People who won't consider the other person's arguments. They're always right, they could never be wrong themselves.

- Books with overly-patronizing, overly-preaching morals. Look, I get it, it's nice to have a moral to the story, it's nice to have a lesson, but please do it in a subtle way. If I want to be lectured to about my morality, I'd go to church.

- People who think that anyone who doesn't share their tastes in books or any other form of art are somehow 'lesser'. Really? What happened to just letting people enjoy whatever the hell they want? How are they hurting you in any way by liking what you don't like?

- When a person with an actual, legit complaint is lumped in with the 'overly-sensitive people' and is told to shut up and get over it. Yes, people get offended over the smallest of things, but it doesn't hurt to listen just in case it's an actual complaint. Especially when the person is not asking for everyone else to fit in with his/her idea of how things should be.

- When people bash others for wanting a harmless little gimmick that is optional in a video game, like the ability to change your character's hair ala Oblivion. If they want to have a character with shockingly pink or neon blue hair, then goddamned let them! It doesn't hurt you, nor does it hurt the game. No one is forcing you to play a character with a weird hair color. Is it lore-breaking? OK, maybe, but it's THEIR GAME! They get to play it however they want without fear of judgment.

- People judging others for how they play their own video games in their own spare time. I mean, really? REALLY!? How is that any of your business? How is how they play their own game their own way hurting you in any way? NEWS FLASH, PEOPLE: You don't get to force others to play their own games the way you'd want to play them. Sorry if this news disappoints you in any way! :) For the rest, feel free to play your character in the most lore-breaking way possible. It's your game, play it however you want. Don't listen to the people who tell you to be 'lore-correct' (aka: "I want you to play your game the way I'd play it!") Just...play it however you want. That's why Todd Howard once said, "Do whatever you want to do, be whatever you want to be."

Witchymama likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Perhaps, men who wear a button-down shirt with tie can't get a woman into their lives?

21. Tenderiser

What on earth is a button-down shirt? I googled it and they look like exactly the kind of shirts men wear ties with?

BayView and Tea@3 like this.
  22. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Mommies and daddies with prams as well as normal pedestrians annoy me to no end whenever I'm biking. And I probably annoy them with my bike. :D But really, do you have to hog the entire sidewalk? Over here the sidewalks are for both, bikes and pedestrians. I'd appreciate it those without a bike stuck to the pedestrian side of the lane and left the bike side of the lane free for, oh I don't know, a vehicle that moves a lot faster, or perhaps refrained from pushing that pram in the middle of the sidewalk? Or maybe there's some really good mommy reason they have for this and I just don't know about it because I don't have a baby.

Don't get me started on prams on buses and trains. I know it's the parents' right and, sure, it's fun to get a free ride which you wouldn't get with a sling, but it's just so inconvenient. Especially during winter because of puffy winter clothing, and, not to offend anyone, but what with obesity being on the rise over here as well, I swear, we're going to need bigger buses and trains soon or else they'll turn into death traps.
    Is that like a men's shirt with only a few buttons? So it can't be parted in the middle, only the collar has buttons? Just guessing as the post confused me as well.

Passports as IDs are super common over here because pretty much everyone has a passport and the only acceptable IDs are a driving license (not everyone has it, especially not in Helsinki where driving is nightmarish), a passport, or a Police issued official identity card that's like a passport but only allows you to prove your identity and travel in the EU. The social security card is pretty much useless. :(

ETA: Other pet peeves of mine that are common in academic ("academic") discourse nowadays:
    -political correctness and newspeak
    -double-think
    -hypocrisy
    -double standards

jannert likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

1/ Cycling on the pavement is illegal in the UK (a bicycle is classified as a "wheeled carriage") but you can ride in a pedestrianized area - unless there is a local bye-law...so, pedestrians on the pavement is OK. On a joint-use cycleway/footpath, a bit of give-and-take goes a long way - on both parts. What pisses me off is the pedestrian who steps in front of you on the road because he didn't hear you coming...or, worse, because he saw you coming and wasn't afraid of you, not being a ten-ton truck, knocking him over.

2/ So, getting off the train last Easter I came over all faint...they helped me off at my stop, bike and all, and sent for an ambulance. Nothing wrong except a bad cold/dose of flu, nothing that an early night with plenty of fluids wouldn't have taken care of. But the ambulance crew does the ECG, takes me to hospital, sticks me on a trolley, DON'T give me a drink in case it delays surgery. Eventually A&E decide that there's nothing wrong with me (not even a follow-up with my GP) so send me home.

"Don't worry, you can take your bike on the bus."

Wait half-an-hour for the bus. Get told by the driver that I can't take my bike on it, "because it's illegal".

So, instead of a 2-mile ride home from the station at 6:00pm, I've now got a 10-mile ride from the hospital, at 9:00 pm. And, because it's April, it's now dark and I've got no lights.

So much for an early night with plenty of fluids, and God Bless that little jobsworth.

3/ Button-down shirt...regular shirt, plus the corners of the collar are held down with a button.

KaTrian and jannert like this.
  24. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If somebody said 'button down COLLAR' would that make more sense? Women's shirts sometimes have these as well. It's just a little button at the tip of each side of the collar to keep it from curling up. These are commoner on sports shirts that don't have a stiffener inside the collar than they are on 'dress' shirts which often do. Maybe that's why some folks think they look odd with a tie. They weren't meant for a tie?

As for prams. I feel for the mothers and dads who have to take their children in them on public transport, but the vehicles do come in all shapes and sizes ...some are easier to manoevre than others. And I don't think any baby needs the massive carriages you sometimes see—especially if their parents plan to take them on to public transportation. Hell, once the kid gets sitting up, they'll be in a stroller anyway.

As for hogging the sidewalk, I'm totally with you on that one. It's not an issue for bike riders here in the UK because it's illegal to ride on the sidewalks, except in cases as @Shadowfax pointed out. But just as a pedestrian, I get massively irritated when I see two (or more) people heading towards me, and they are NOT about to interrupt their conversation to let me past. I'm supposed to step off the walk and into the street, apparently. Guess what? I don't. I learned this trick from my husband. I just come to a stop on my side of the sidewalk and wait. Sure enough, they usually give me dirty looks, but one of them then moves in front of the other, single file, and we can both stay planted firmly without needing to step out into traffic.

I think spatial awareness here in the UK could use a tweak. Don't get me started on supermarkets....

KaTrian, Ben414 and arkadia like this.
  25. arkadia

arkadia Member

Are you kidding me! Hopefully this means you don't own any button-down shirts.
    Button down shirts are for "smart/business casual". For example you can use it with chinos, jeans or corduroys. With a sports jacket. But NOT with a suit or a tie.

See the little button at the collar? Now, would YOU take out a tie, and use with this shirt?
    Or would you stop yourself and think "Hm, maybe this is not the right shirt to use with a tie? I'll grab my other blue shirt with a regular collar instead."

If so, you are RIGHT. If you ignored the buttons and managed to use a tie with this shirt, you are WRONG.

[​IMG]

A good giveaway is that none of the UK school-uniform shirts EVER have button collars. Why? Because it doesn't go with a tie!

Oh this rant felt so good. Men, I hope you got the message. Please teach your sons!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016