1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Reviewing section

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Mckk, Apr 3, 2013.

Just a suggestion - shouldn't we change the name of the "Review" section? I've noticed so many newbies posting their excerpts there - they're breaking site rules and flooding the section with the wrong stuff. It's just annoying. Understandably people would think the "review" section is for reviewing your work - just wondered if there might be a better, less misleading name?

Unless the mods restrict the "Review" section like they do for the workshop? But that would seem a little unnecessary.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree... renaming should help...

it's a major problem with so many new members thinking they can post work there... please rename it something that does not lead folks to think it's for reviewing work... PLEASE!

3. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Do we really even need it? It has the least amount of threads out of all the Writing Issues forums, and it seems like most of the questions in there (that aren't people posting their work for critique) could easily go into General Writing.

The most important part to it, I think, are Cogito's 4 stickies on giving and receiving critiques, etc. Could they get transfered to the writing workshop? Is there some way to have them posted on the sub-forums page?

4. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

This is a good idea.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I would prefer the name Critiquing Strategy. However, it won't prevent people from trying to post excerpts there. They will post wherever they think they can get away with it, or the first forum they stumble into.

6. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I agree that it should be changed to something else. I remember when I first started here, I was confused as to the purpose of the section too. I didn't post anything there cuz I read the rules, but still. I think a name change would be good.

7. mammamaia

any title with the word 'critique' or any version of same would still lead to what we're seeing now continuing...

and a change would at least cut down significantly on the number of misplaced/misposted material, so implying that because it's going to happen anyway, it's not a good idea to change the name makes no sense to me, cog...

8. Cogito

Well, when I originally proposed that forum, I wanted the name to include some word like "Strategy" to emphasize that it was for discussing how to critique effectively. But I was happy enough to get the forum itself, so I didn't quibble over the name.

I do know that it won't solve the problem of the oblivious or the deliberately befogged, but it might make it easier for those genuinely confused by the title.

9. mammamaia

how about 'dos and don'ts of critiquing' for the section title?

with the section explanation saying something like, 'This section for discussing the process only... NOT FOR POSTING WORK'...

10. Cogito

The explanation can say, "How to view what you yabba dabba do," for all I care. The only time anyone reads that part is when they are trying to justify posting topics that don't belong, after the fact.

As for the title, anything that emphasizes process works for me. I have no illusions, though, that a tile change will make people think twice, or even once, about posting scraps for praise, permission, and 'proval.