Is this a good plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Magnatolia, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

Write it yourself. Why a ghostwriter that turn a mystery plot into a love fantasy thing with conflict Christian and Pagan? What side wins? Why your ghostwriter come with that story?

In reality you have a good plot for a mystery story where: why someone, that like to and can write, wants ghostwriter that come with a different (totally) idea?

"Watson, lay here with me."

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  2. Monte Thompson

Monte Thompson New Member

I'm having a difficult time placing this in the circumstances outlined in the definition of "ghost writer". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwriter

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Well, to be honest, if said "ghostwriter" agrees to all this - eg. think of the whole story, write the whole damn thing, and then let the OP put their name on the cover and take all the cash without any contribution from the OP in any of the work - then I actually feel sorry for her. I mean, how stupid would you have to be...?

On the other hand, if the OP actually managed to con someone into this and swipe all the cash without putting in an ounce of work... well, despicable though that would be, it's pretty clever. Lol.

OP - I do believe you are mistaken on what it means to be a ghostwriter. There's nothing wrong with writing for money, but there's everything wrong with getting someone else to do ALL the work while you take the credit (and dumb for the person who lets you).

Final heads-up - any ghostwriter worth his/her money would be extremely expensive, because they know they can write work that is publishable, and writing a book is no small feat. Your ghostwriter sounds inexperienced at best - which leads me to question, let's say your very strange transaction does take place, do you even genuinely think a writer who can't seem to distinguish between whether she's writing fantasy romance or mystery suspense would be able to write a publishable book?

And if not, then however cheap she might be, isn't it still money down the drain?

Andrae Smith, jannert and Lea`Brooks like this.
  4. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

Hey plothog, totally agree with you on the instructions part. I did indicate this to her, but luckily for her I liked the end result. Which is odd because I'm not huge on romance. Really? I've heard that novellas are better for a return in the ebook market because readers want substance and apparently those books are quite popular. At least popular enough to make a good amount of money (dependent on quality of writing naturally) as you could write 3-4? in the same time it takes to write a novel.

I want to get into the fiction industry yet I don't feel that fiction is my strong point, which is why the writing I'm producing is non-fiction. Hi Selbbin, water supply contamination was just one of the issues they encountered. Their crops also produce little to no crops. The story itself isn't actually about Christian and Pagan religion, it's simply a theme in the book.

Hi Jannert, the reason I wanted feedback is that I've never read or written a romance book, although I do know that is one of the most popular categories on Kindle. I was hoping that somebody here would have experience in that category.

5. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

Hey Mckk, your response came after I posted mine. Firstly your idea of ghostwriting is off. The whole point of ghostwriting is that a writer writes in the shadow as in they're invisible. Perhaps I was too hasty in using the term ghostwriter. When I publish the book I will be adding her as co-author. This is why she charged a cheaper rate, because she gets books out there as well in a sense. Although I think that's a risky move because I could completely change the story if I so choose.

And the term despicable is a pretty insulting word from someone who clearly hasn't done the research to see how the 'ghostwriting' industry operates. I published my request with exactly what I wanted and expected, and had several people make offers on the job. There are also a lot of similar jobs out there. For example if you go to Fiverr you'll see heaps of jobs where people will write a 1000 word story for $5. I personally use the gigs that offer plot ideas based on what you tell them. I had an idea for a plot and with this service they gave me six fleshed out plot ideas. I could then use the service again, pick one and get it fleshed out more. Then I can use that as my starting point to get my creativity flowing a bit more.

6. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

@Monte Thompson You need to reread that wikipedia pag on ghostwriter.

"Ghostwriters are also hired to write fiction in the style of an existing author, often as a way of increasing the number of books that can be published by a popular author"

"The ghostwriter is sometimes acknowledged by the author or publisher for his or her writing services"

"A ghostwriter is a writer who writes books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person"

All quotes taken directly verbatim from the Wikipedia page.

Perhaps you are referring to the fact that they don't explicitly write word for word that ghostwriters write the complete book. Yet if you look at that third quote above it is clearly indicative of this. If someone hired a ghostwriter to plot the story outline and then the other person used this to flesh out their own story then they wouldn't need to credit the ghostwriter as the end result would actually be their own work.

7. AndyC

AndyC Member

Well, I'll try to be as objective as I can be. I understand plot as a series of linked events (From A to B, B to C, and so on) that makes a character do something in order to attain something, with the difficulties that always carry.
    I think that plot is fine, but it still needs work. I don't see a strong motive for the protagonist to carry the story all the way through. I'm not saying there isn't one, I just don't see it.
    As for the whole "Ghostwriter" concept (This is actually the first time I heard it) I think I agree with almost everyone here. Why do all the work and let another one take credit and profits out of it? I really don't know how that works so I can't argue about it, but if that's is actually true, I just don't get it.
    Maybe I just can't understand how anyone would make others write for him, when writing (creating stories, characters, settings, and bringing all to life) is a beautiful and fulfilling experience. (Then, someone here said "Because of the money, andy..." and all suddenly made sense :p )

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't think that the primary issue here is whether you and/or the writer are doing this for money. The issue is that you and/or the writer appear to be doing this for money, and there isn't money to be had.

Most books don't make much money. They just don't. If the book is your own personal creation, then it may not matter to you if you earn only a tiny fraction of minimum wage for the hours that you spent on the book, as long as you have the personal satisfaction of being published. But no one is likely to write a really good book, and put someone else's name on it, for a tiny fraction of minimum wage.

So as I see it, the most likely scenarios are:

1) You pay a fair wage to the writer--many thousands of dollars--and you lose a ton of money.

2) You don't pay a fair wage to the writer, which means that a writer is writing for money, but essentially not getting any money to speak of. Why would the writer do that? How are you going to buy the rights to a book that is (1) very good, (2) original (3) exclusively yours, for a bargain rate? It seems likely that the book may not actually fulfill all of these attributes.

Ghostwriters do exist, but they exist largely for situations where someone has some other valuable characteristic that could produce book sales, such as fame, and a lack of writing talent. An unknown with limited resources hiring an unknown with limited resources to write a book just doesn't look to me like a situation likely to lead to profit.

9. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

So really you want to be a publisher, which is fair enough. Novellas do work much better with ebook distribution and I've noticed a large amount available. I don't see much of an issue with length when publishing digitally. My two favorite ebooks are both very short.

Still, based purely on the plot, or at least the pitch, there's no way I'd download this story. I need a far more compelling idea. But that's just me.

I think people here are being a bit unfair. When I say it's a shit plot, I mean that honestly in answer to your direct question. But if you need help creating plots, that's OK. However, please understand that most of us here enjoy that part the most, so we don't 'get it'. I mean, plots are the easy part. I've literally got hundreds of them mapped out. Yesterday I wrote one on the train about a girl living in her car and working in a cafe that is saving up to set up a homeless shelter but when her car gets stolen and she loses her job for being late, the very people she wanted to help start exploiting her good nature to the point where she turns to drugs, luckily dragged back out of despair by a kindly musician she falls for and takes her in. I feel that with the level of competition out there to get readership, amongst writers who are already incredibly talented, you would honestly be better off focusing on other forms of writing, and not creative. Try technical or Journalistic. Maybe even copy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Andrae Smith and jannert like this.
  10. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Is this a good plot?

[​IMG]

Pheonix likes this.
  11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@Magnatolia "Hi Jannert, the reason I wanted feedback is that I've never read or written a romance book, although I do know that is one of the most popular categories on Kindle. I was hoping that somebody here would have experience in that category."

I would say you'll find it very difficult to write (or co-write) in a genre you've never read. If this is what you're thinking of doing, I strongly recommend that you download a few of the best-sellers in that genre onto your Kindle and read them. That will give you an idea of what the genre requires and how it should sound. Don't even think of trying to write a Romance if you've never read one. It will die...

12. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

There are a handful of issues with this thread. The one that stands out most to me is the fact that you asked a ghostwriter to do the creative part. I don't care who decides to use one or why, but if you don't have an original idea to pitch to them, as well as original characters, some level of thought into the plot and storyline (basically all of the footwork), I don't think you're ready for the writing stage. That is, having a ghostwriter is the least of your concerns. You'll be far better off with your own ideas because you have creative license and complete control. You might then collab. with a writer to help bring your story to reality, but as @jannert pointed out, that would be very costly for such a nominal return value.

The second issue is more personal. I just don't see why a writer would approach a ghost writer...unless you're Milton and you need someone to write for you because you're blind. :p Otherwise, just do your own work or find a new industry, or field in the industry. Writing is dedicated work and if you can't do the work to produce your own story, it might not be right for you.

My third issue is also somewhat personal. It's about your "Wow. I joined this forum bllah blah blah..." post. That is a classic example of "I didn't get the responses I wanted so the people on this forum must be pretty rude." Just as some friendly insight, there was nothing prior to that that suggested anyone was being rude or condemning you or rejecting you or "your" idea. What I saw was the same question repeated over again: "why are you seeing a ghost writer?" or even, "why are you asking someone else for 'your' story?" If you can't handle that, idk what to tell ya.

Regarding the "plot," this is no plot. At best, this is a proposed story idea, and even then, it's not great. It's awful considering you asked for mystery. But as a romance, it sounds to me like a 16 yr-old's attempt and YA fantasy/romance. On the bright side, I can't fault you for that one ha ha.

It seems to me that you may be better suited for the publishing industry. If writing isn't your game, try researching what it takes to go that route. Then you could produce all of the quality writing you want with your company's name attached, and you'll reap most of the profit. Your ghost"writer" seems pretty sketch to me though. :p

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Catrin Lewis, Tesoro, Okon and 3 others like this.
  13. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

I always thought you'd hire a ghostwriter for something that's going to make money one way or the other - say, celebrity "autobiographies" or weight-loosing tips etc... or the Nth sequel to a popular cheap-seller... you, know, anything that sells because of either the name of the supposed author or the book-cover. If your name, @Magnatolia, is enough to have people buy the book, then you are on the track. :)

14. Monte Thompson

Read in context. They write for established authors and publications. The established author or publications specify the story they are to write, not the other way around. As a marketing director I worked with many writers to do copy. Any time the author was mentioned we credited the actual person, I didn't write my name in place of theirs

People hire painters to do paintings all the time, but the person commissioning the work doesn't sign the piece in place of the painter.

This seems to me like plagiarism, albeit eerily voluntary.

15. Monte Thompson

Amen Andrae

16. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

Thanks @jannert, when I personally decide to get into the romance side of things I will definitely be getting some of hte best-sellers.

@Andrae Smith Thanks for the feedback. If you have a look through the original replies you will see a very strong condescending tone which I feel was out of line. A simple 'I personally wouldn't use a ghostwriter for this situation for the following reasons' would have been a perfect response. It puts the persons point of view across in a respectful way.

@Monte Thompson Thanks for the reply, I did read it and it only mentions once about professional authors using a ghostwriter. The rest is generic. Plagiarism implies that what I have is a copy of work, yet I received the full rights so it cannot be plagiarism in either voluntary or involuntary status.

Also, to everyone commenting on how stupid the ghostwriter was. I'm pretty sure I pointed this out but if not then I shall point it out here. Her name will also appear on the book in Kindle so she is actually creating a searchable/accessible portfolio of writing that she has written before.

17. Burlbird

@Magnatolia what makes her a ghostwriter then? :D

18. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It was already mentioned that Magnatolia may have used the wrong term.

19. Burlbird

@Selbbin he keeps on using it... :)

20. Monte Thompson

If the writer, or co-writer's name is on it as well then you would be considered a co-author. All is normal.

21. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

You can't just write for financial reasons, likeyou said. Just like I can't win America's Got Talent just because I need the money. Just like the richest person can't buy himself a good voice with all his money.

You sing from your soul, you draw from your soul...and you write from it. Whichever you got the flames for.

I'm not saying a ghostwriter can't do his job, just...there is this passion, and that is what makes a book, at least a great deal of it. And when you don't even have a plot!

So, let's summarize.
    You don't write your story. (and you're shocked that a WRITING forum doesn't approve? That is folly)
    You don't even have a plot, and you're so unsecure that you ask randoms?

So...in truth you have nothing, well you got your writer. Good luck.

AlannaHart likes this.
  22. Monte Thompson

Your question was: Is this a good plot? Answer: No.
    Reccomended solution: Write it yourself. If you can't then find another pursuit.

Arguing the matter further is going to do nothing but make you a troll.

AlannaHart likes this.
  23. Magnatolia

Magnatolia Active Member

If someone would kindly tell me what the official term is rather than me having to write co-authorship each time I'll gladly stop using it.

@Monte Thompson lol since when did having a differing view on something become trolling? I think what you meant was arguing further is pointless. Apparently disagreeing with someone is the new trolling. Thanks for the heads up.

@Albirich You are correct. I should have chosen a different forum, and it was never about the fact that the forum didn't agree/approve of my choice to have someone write the story. Actually an interesting little side note. I'm reasonably good at coding Excel formulas, but there's some stuff that's beyond me. So I head over to my favourite coding forum and ask them for advice on how to get my outcome. They will give you the full code or formula. They don't see it as a lazy person who can't be bothered to learn. They love the fact that they can contribute their knowledge to help someone else.

And you can write for financial reasons, however I do understand where you are coming from. If you write as a means to an end then you will not provide value for value, in other words your book will not be worth the value that the reader invests in it. I never imlied otherwise. I simply know that if writing would not provide financial gain then I would not do it. Same goes for quality, if the people I share my writings with, and the proofreaders/critiquers whose services I use, told me my writing skills lacked then I would not do it. Actually I tend to get quite good feedback about my writing, strong starts etc. Plotting is the part I have the most trouble with.

24. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

If two people have their name on the cover, that's called co-authoring and it's not called ghostwriting. And I think everyones pretty much agreed on that, so not much to debate there.

Other things I find odd in your plot.

The setting is vague. I'm assuming that it's set on Earth because Christianity is involved. But that these are fictional nations within the real world.
    The time period is not clear. The mixture of paganism, Christianity and wizards makes me think it's trying to be Arthurian legend style - set some time in the dark ages, but this is a guess.
    I think if I was pagan turned Christian and I met a pagan demigoddess, this would pretty hardcore proof that the Christians are wrong and pagan gods do exist.
    You'll have to work hard if you want a Christian who sticks to his belief in the face of that.

Mother Nature's traditional function isn't normally to send amnesiac demigoddesses to decide who's the winner in wars. I have trouble buying into that concept.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  25. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Writing for money? Christ.