Is this a good plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Magnatolia, Mar 18, 2014.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But if she's doing all the writing, why should she allow your name to also appear on the book?

I guess, for the money. It appears that she is selling, to you, the right to have your name on the book. Sort of like donating to a Kickstarter campaign and getting your name in the donors list in the credits, except instead you are credit as a producer.

I suppose there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but can you see that I'm not seeing it as you writing? You keep talking about your goals for writing, but this appears to be more about your goals for investing.

Tesoro and Andrae Smith like this.
  2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Are you writing it, or is your coauthor writing it? I'm having trouble figuring that out. It sounds more like you're buying the plot from her, then writing it yourself, in which case she would be neither a ghostwriter or a coauthor. A ghostwriter would take your plot and write the story for you. A coauthor would collaborate with you and help you write the novel, but it sounds like you are doing neither.

I agree that the plot isn't strong. It isn't really much of a plot, more of an idea. There are too many factors, from wizards to demigoddesses, to food shortages and water contamination. She doesn't know who she is or why she has to do what she's doing.. But she does it anyway.. I don't really understand the point..

It's too scattered. You're main conflict is that there's a war. Build off of that. I'd nix the pagan-turned-Christian and just stick with him being Christian, if you're intent on using religion. Have the demigoddess (though why she have to be a demigoddess? Does she even know she's a demigoddess? How would she not know but still have to choose a side?) be a leader of the opposing army. Then not only would the Christian and the demigoddess have differences in beliefs, but also be on opposite teams.

You said you aren't big on romance, but the twist had you interested.. I don't see a twist.. Maybe you just didn't explain the idea right, but there isn't anything about it that makes me want to read more. In fact, I had to read it a couples times just to understand it..

I hope you get it figured out.. Good luck.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, if you credit Wikipedia with having the correct interpretation of ghostwriter, here is what they say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwriter

The opening line to their article (which is long and very detailed) says: A ghostwriter is a writer who writes books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person.

That's pretty much what everybody here has been saying. Whatever the ghostwriter's motivation or competence may be, he/she will NOT be credited with having written the story. Either on the front cover or anywhere else.

If you credit her, then she is your co-author.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Actually, I did read through them... this is a classic case of misinterpretation... yet more proof that words are dead without the voice behind them. :rolleyes:

Ah well, just know, no one here meant any real harm.. When it comes to typed messages, half of our understanding comes from what is sent, the other half is what we receive. The kicker is that they don't always line up. :p

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014