?

Is it worth pursuing?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iAtticus

iAtticus New Member

Would this be a viable book to pursue?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by iAtticus, Jan 10, 2015.

If this is the wrong forum page I am sorry (New). I am just wondering if this idea that I have will be something that would be worth making.

The book will be called 50 shades of bitch (The title is not meant to be extremely distasteful)

What it will be about is how women can have so many different sides and act in stupid/annoying and deceitful ways. This book will be primarily aimed at Men as a target audience. Many of the stories/experiences in it will be personal or ones that I know very well from good friends, however it will be written in a general perspective and not related to anyone specific. Each of the chapters will not have numbers but names of different women instead. So for that story about that time she backstabbed you in X situation will be called Hannah and people can refer to that to locate a story, once again not related to real people for identity protection. I am yet to know what length it will be. I am thinking of working on this over a significant amount of time during my spare time. Would this be worth pursuing as a project.

*NOTE - This book will not be overly offensive to women, not my style. However it a sort of comedy and life experience kinda of book. No identities will be revealed. It will NOT be sexist if I can help it. This is aimed at a very exclusive target audience. Mainly men who can relate to this and I think it would be quite a good seller if it good approved by certain standards of regulation and got through the right publisher once finished.*

I know this looks like a longshot but any feedback would be helpful. I really think this can develop into something REALLY effective.

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I could see a certain group of women liking it and a certain type of man. Women, believe it or not, I think are often interested in how men see the world and also can enjoy judging other women, so there's the possibility for that appeal.

The men who are out being successful with women, I don't envision being so inclined to read this. They don't have an incentive and are probably too busy enjoying their triumphs. I do, however, see a lot of bitter males, who have both the resentment and therefore that extra time to be reading up on the type of women who have screwed them. It's a little -what's a better word for weak?- but there are plenty of types of those guys these days. So yes, I think you have at least two markets, so you might be on to something.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It sounds like you had a bad day. :p

Welcome to the forum anyway. :)

4. thatoneauthor

thatoneauthor Member

Is that something you would buy? And i wouldn't diss women, because a couple bad star reviews and your book isn't selling anymore.

5. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Are you willing to denigrate the face of half the world's population for the sake of those who don't have basic manners or moral fiber? Is this something you would want any of your female relatives or friends to get their hands on? Are you prepared to be sued for liable because let's face-it, this is the 21st century, nothing stays secret or anonymous.

Seriously, even though you say it wouldn't be overly offensive toward women your second paragraph is already reeking of taint. A few people might find this sort of thing amusing in a book, but the vast majority, I don't believe would. Words carry weight, and are the seeds of ideals. Look before you sow because once the seeds are in the wind, there is no drawing them back in. Don't condemn us all for the sake of a few.

- Darkkin, the Tedious

RachHP likes this.
  6. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

You don't need any one else's opinion if you think it won't be offensive and it's comedic etc. Then you admit it may be a long shot. And the title is a straight takeoff of another's works.

Men vs women in a cartoon annual works well. This - and for a very exclusive target audience - I don't think will.

7. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I am not sure that this would work. My view is that there are people who are arseholes and people who aren't. Highlighting this trait in one particular group as if it is the norm (in this case in one sex) is generally going to come across as offensive.

When I encounter this sort of man-hating or woman-hating language ('all men are bastards' being a classic); it is given the appearance of jest but with an underlying bitterness. It usually originates from someone rather unhappy or someone carrying their resentment around like some bloody cross, and it in no way ingratiates that person to anyone around them. In fact it normally gets a rather disdainful response and the subject is soon changed. I imagine a book on the subject would provoke a similar response.

They are just my thoughts though.

lustrousonion likes this.
  8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Published, blatant misogyny? It would be nice to say it'd never fly, but who the hell knows? Maybe some MRA assholes will learn to read and your book can be their bible!