1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Is this a little too brutal? (Describing an execution)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Link the Writer, Aug 23, 2017.

Aight, a brief background:

In my fantasy, The Alkorian Legends, Mishu's direwolf guide dog gets captured/hurt badly by an agent of the big bad. Eventually, Mishu and her newfound Devonian companion finds this agent. The companion, one of the Wild Devonians, decides the agent deserves no less than a brutal punishment so she takes the agent to her camp. And this is where I'm concerned:

The execution is like this: They strap the agent to an "x"-shaped cross and break his shoulders and hips all while a Devonian slowly pulls at a rope (affixed to a pulley) that strangles him. One scenario has the execution be that they simply break the agent's neck. The other is that they literally roast the agent and stand while he burns alive.

While there is context behind it, and it's more than just to avenge a blind girl's guide dog (though the companion asks Mishu if this is cathartic for her) I'm wondering if this is a bit too brutal? Too dark? I don't mind going dark, I just don't want to pull a 'shock value for the sake of shock value".

Thoughts??

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

The better question would be do you have to go into detail about the execution, or would just a brief mention suffice? If yes, you need the details, then do it. No such thing as too brutal. Besides, people love a bit of controversy.

3. HugoHenriksen

HugoHenriksen New Member

If it is what you want and needed in the story, you go for it!

4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd mostly be concerned over whether it's tonally consistent with the rest of the story. Do you think this scene would really stick out as needlessly brutal? Like, on GoT for example I'm pretty sure this is just a Tuesday, and wouldn't have much of an impact.

Or is this supposed to be a particularly dark moment, and are you ready to treat it as such? If it's a remarkable thing to happen in context, and you're going to describe it in detail, I would think it probably needs to be given some gravity - used as a turning point in the story or somesuch.

I think it becomes just shock value if you present a brutal thing in loving detail, then move on as if it didn't happen and doesn't matter.

5. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I wouldn't be bothered coming across something like this in a book. I've certainly read worse. Although, for me, it makes the one ordering the execution come across as a bit of a bastard. You say there is a context, but is there any reason, vengeance aside, that they can't simply have his head off and be done with it? Think about what these actions say about the characters performing them, and how it will change the reader's perception. If it has the desired effect, great! It could be a wonderfully intense scene.

Trish and John-Wayne like this.
  6. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Is Mishu a bad guy? That seems a bit brutal for good guys to be doing.

Unless Mishu is a psychotic anti-hero, in which case, carry on.

7. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

Yeah, I would be more concerned about what this says about your characters (that they are vindictive and sadistic) rather than what it'll do to your reader.

Simpson17866 and John-Wayne like this.
  8. Link the Writer

The idea is that Mishu doesn't know how they'll execute this man, so she's horrified and begs them to stop when they do it. It's supposed to contrast the Devonians of the wild versus the Devonians she knows in the city. The civilized vs the savage if you will.

Also, they're doing it because the agent has already killed a few of their own -- and he's human to boot. Mishu being there is just by proxy.

Simpson17866 and Seren like this.
  9. Seren

Seren Writeaholic

In which case, it sounds like a fabulous idea. I would also find the unique method of execution (specifically the one where they break his shoulders whilst strangling - burning is a bit more common) intriguing in a, "Oh, they didn't just behead him. Interesting!" way. But maybe I'm just weird. :D

10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, this. The trouble with brutality and "shock" value is that you have to back it up. Any time you tug an emotional heart-string to engender a certain reaction you have to deliver or be booed off the stage. Sometimes it's better to take the safer route. Sometimes it's better to club the reader over the head with a sledgehammer. Too often I'll read something that's supposed to come off as scary/violent/sexy/touching/disturbing/whatever and I end up chuckling because I can't take it seriously. Especially with the violence. I'll get a vibe that the author is sitting behind me with a smug look that says, "Look how disturbing I am! Are you not horrified?" To which, I'd gladly hand the book back to them if I could (I'm thinking of modern serial killer books that seem to think that I've never read a torture scene before... or that upping the gore is supposed to make me feel something). But it's awesome of it works. It'll steal your breath if done well. It's a fine line.

11. Link the Writer

I second this. If the violence in my story has basically been lowkeyed and suddenly "watch me graphically describe this guy dying!!!"

Would be very off putting, I imagine. I don't have any other violence scenes to compare it too other than Mishu getting her ribs broken as the villain stomps on her chest, and another character taking personal glee in having a baddie under his blade.

12. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

You could soften it a bit without losing detail by having a character describe the execution in dialog, rather than as narration. That way, you could use the character's reaction as a means of conveying the horror of it, rather than the mechanics.

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I vote against this one not because it's too brutal but because I get distracted trying to figure out how it works.

14. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

This is completely dependent on your audience. In the kind of horror I read, nobody would bat an eyelid at this. In a whimsical YA fantasy, it's likely to be disturbing to at least some readers.

Trish likes this.
  15. Link the Writer

Ah, that's the problem. This is a mostly whimsical YA fantasy novel. Yes, there's violence but it's mostly straight-forward and its usually when people are fighting each other. Grisly executions and torture scenes?

The more I think about it, maybe it is a bit too dark and grisly for the setting. Especially when you go from 'injury from combat' to 'holy shit, this is like something from Game of Thrones!!' And the way I have the execution (breaking the hips and shoulders, then burning the person alive) sounds more like something a villain would do...

I guess since I'm second-guessing myself on this, I should take it as cue that it's probably too dark for this setting...

Simpson17866 and Tenderiser like this.
  16. Link the Writer

On the other hand, maybe I could re-work it as more of a critique of 'shock value for the sake of shock value'. Maybe Mishu learns exactly how they plan to execute the man (before anything actually happens) and she's disgusted with it, argues for the man's life. No begging for mercy while they're roasting him. Just her firmly insisting that this kind of stuff is not tolerated?

izzybot likes this.
  17. Caveriver

Caveriver Active Member

This seems more logical, and will be gentler on your audience (less in contrast to mood of the rest of the story). I don't see any reason to ignore that there are gruesome things happening in your protag's world, but that doesn't mean that showing it blow for blow is the best path to take. Sometimes leaving things to the imagination is more potent than showing in real time... and this allows the reader to make it as disturbing as they are inclined to.

18. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

And then my question would be -- does Mishu have the authority and influence to be heard? Or is it going to happen anyway? That kind of makes a difference for me as to how well it will play in a YA.

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

[prepares long post about how graphic violence in fiction itself is not a problem, only the narration of the violence can be a problem if it's done wrong]

Yeah, that changes things.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    It will not be too brutal as long as you don't go into
    visceral detail and linger on the execution. And trust
    me you can make it bloody gruesome with extreme
    detail.

However it is not as bad as the three women that get
    flayed alive over many hours in my own WIP.
    So if you want to get an idea of raw brutality the excerpt
    is on my blog in my sig to give you an idea of just how
    nasty you can get. Think of it as looking at the extreme
    end of the spectrum, and then dial it back to a level
    you feel fits more the tone of your own themed work.
    Trust me, when I say if you are squeamish, or don't
    like extreme graphic content, you should probably
    take a pass.

Good Luck.:)

21. Link the Writer

She doesn't have any position of authority to really stop it. She's a fourteen year old blind girl surrounded by hostile, feral Devonians who are going to execute this agent after what he's done to their people. The only reason she's not being disembowled herself is because one of her allies is from that group, she has taken Mishu to witness the agent's fate believing that Mishu would find it cathartic since the agent also hurt her friends.

22. Trish

I don't really see how it would help for her to speak out against it then? When it's going to happen anyway. Wouldn't that push her back over to the edge of disembowelment herself? Arguing with the powers that be?

Link the Writer likes this.
  23. Link the Writer

She's kind of screwed in this scenario. :p I suppose she can try to convince her companion to go speak on her behalf?

Trish likes this.
  24. Trish

Maybe.

25. Link the Writer

Poor Mishu. :p