1. Thunder_Bard

Thunder_Bard Member

Long Journeys: How to write about them effectively

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by Thunder_Bard, Feb 28, 2015.

So I am currently writing a (short) story and my character is on a long journey through their vast land to become a warrior. He is travelling with his uncle in a cart. It is set in Middle Earth; Rohan to be specific. It will take them about a month. I simply don'tknow how to make it sound interesting apart form meeting a certain character on the way there. I don't want one of them to die or get injured either. Please tell me some ideas on this matter guys :D

2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Can you use part of the journey for your characters to converse about other members of the family? Nephew and Uncle so the Uncle is either the boy's father's brother or mother's brother so maybe the conversation can be about lost family members or the boy's grandparents (who are the uncle's parents).

Or, maybe the uncle is preparing the nephew for a task that lays ahead and so part of the journey is spent training the nephew for what he's about to face.

Maybe they can have a conversation about philosophical things?

Maybe they come across something, or even a view of something which triggers a memory for the nephew which the uncle has to explain is actually a wrong memory before telling him the truth.

Basically, anything! Always ask yourself loads of questions, write down your answers and pick the one which best fits the story but be prepared, every question you answer, will raise another question!

Good Luck x

Thunder_Bard likes this.
  3. Thunder_Bard

Thunder_Bard Member

Thanks! That is a great list of things that I can use in my writings! I have included some of what you have said, the nephews father was killed by Dunlendings when he was a child. I have a scene where they are lying on their backs looking at the stars and saying how one constellation which I made (it's called Haleth and means "Warrior" in Old English" reminds the nephew of his father. The uncle is asleep when the nephew looks over again.

I was thinking of them coming across a character on the road who is called "Scruff" and having him be like a sort of Guardian of the Road character that always secretly helps them from the sidelines. I imagine Scruff to be a traveller/ homeless person who everyone looks down on but is actually far greater than they could imagine.

Maybe also they get attacked by wolves at some point and have to defend themselves against them.

Tell me what you think of these ideas :D

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I think those are great ideas. Best thing to do (in my opinion but try for yourself and see what happens) would be to write out all these scenarios and see if they fit into your journey. You may decide that some don't fit, some are pure gold and some are plain trash but the more you write, the more options you will have.

Good Luck x

Thunder_Bard likes this.
  5. Thunder_Bard

Thunder_Bard Member

I will do just that :D. Thanks a million x

I am known by many a name
    from here to miles a far
    words are the pawns of my game
    I am the Thunder_Bard

cutecat22 likes this.