1. HGDaGr8One

HGDaGr8One New Member

I'm caught at a fork in the road...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by HGDaGr8One, Jun 9, 2016.

Writing is a hobby for me. I'm working on a series of characters for a fantasy series of short stories and i have gotten stuck at a fork. I don't know which way to go with it. I basically write a summary of what the character will encounter throughout their journey. And then i take that and expand upon it and it turns into chapters. Long story short, my character is a young warlock who leaves his family home and tries to live a normal life on his own away from magic. But, his lineage is not easily forgotten.

Here is what i have so far....

Link was born to mother, Mary Fraydthanot and father, Azuma Fujikage on February 19th in Danvers, Massachusetts. In childhood, he was close with his younger sibling, Alice. Link's family is very wealthy, mysterious, and secretive due to a society that turns a blind eye to individuals who have different ways of thinking or have certain beliefs. Link's mysterious family live on a secluded piece of enchanted land outside of town on an estate deep in the woods miles away from civilization. Link and his sister lived a solitary life with their mother, aunt, and grandmother who are well known to be a powerful coven of Witches.

Growing up within a family of Witches, Link learned the art of witchcraft and embraced the Wiccan religion at a very young age. Link has not had any real outside human interaction, yet his demeanor is cool but somewhat withdrawn when it comes to dealing with people. He long's to leave the confines of his family estate and experience the world that he often watches on television. Link spends most of his time amongst the forest on his family’s large estate deep in the woods. Spending a substantial amount of time in the forest hunting with his father Link learned how to be a very skilled hunter. Being of Wiccan descent Link felt at home amongst the trees and the animals. He naturally became one with nature.

Being shielded from the outside world due to an enchantment on the land played heavily on Link’s curiosity. So, at the age of 19 he decided to move out of the comforts of his family estate and out into the world. Link did not have any issues with adjusting to life out in Danvers. He picked up odd jobs here and there to support his menial means of forest living. After leaving the estate Link would sometimes have an ominous feeling that he was being watched and/or followed (Link being an adept hunter always stays aware of his surroundings especially in heavily wooded areas). He was always told by his mother to keep his magical abilities a secret. That people of the world would not understand and frown upon it. So, while living his newly found life Link limited himself to being a solo practitioner but occasionally uses his magic out in the world. Unfortunately, one day someone witnesses Link using his magic will at work and surreptitiously contacts an anonymous source. Openly using magic out in public changed the course of Link’s life in a big way.

Link’s mother, Mary; told him of the evils out in the world and Link witnessed it for himself.

How did he witness this?

a. Link gets recruited by a cult/Demon worshipers who want to use his magic abilities for an evil end.

b. Links has a run-in with a team of witch hunters and has no choice but to use magic to defend himself.

c. Link meets an old clerk in a black market/shop that he eventually befriends (In search of a rare ingredient/object used in a spell). The old shop keeper turns out to be a strong arch mage that is living incognito. But, eventually teaches Link “dark” magic rituals and takes him on as a temporary apprentice.

This is where the cross road starts. Which direction should i go in? Or, should i go in more than one direction? I need help with this one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you :D

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

There are certain issues a writer really has to work out for himself. This is one of them. No one knows your story and character ideas better than you do. And there is no one right way for a story to come out. Whatever you decide will be the right way.

Best of luck.

jannert, Seraph751 and HGDaGr8One like this.
  3. HGDaGr8One

HGDaGr8One New Member

Yeah, this is true. I guess I'll just take each scenario and throw them together and see how it plays out.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Sounds like a plan. :superidea:

5. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

When you come to a literal fork in the road, don't you go down each path a little ways to see if it's going to take you in the direction you want to go, or if it ends in a dead end?

Same thing with writing. Write it each way, and see where, and how far, the plot and characters take you. No writing is wasted, really, if it gives you practice at putting thoughts into words. Who knows, you might end up with two stories, both good.

6. Buttered Toast

Buttered Toast Active Member

I understand what people are saying on this post and I agree you should decide for yourself but I also think you just want an opinion and so out of the choices I like C)
    Because it's more interesting, although I don't know what is bad about dark magic? You will have to explain that in the story.
    Or he could be using dark magic for a bigger reason, possibly to send bad beings back to the nether world? Or something?
    Good luck on your decision :)

7. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

- Robert Frost

Lifeline likes this.
  8. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

You can also ask your characters themselves. What would Link do?