1. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

Need awsome name for protagonist group

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Lady Amalthea, Jun 6, 2012.

I have recently entered this forum - as in today - because I am stuck. I'm writing in a steampunk fantasy setting, in a kingdom called Lyonesse that is, in most aspects, very similar to France (I just enjoyed the idea of having crazy teenagers with firearms terrorizing a steampunk Paris in the 1860s). The Royal Police of Lutece - capital of Lyonesse - has put together a group of extraordinary young people that are being trained as a special junior league or squadron. They are six teenagers, all between the ages of 14 and 18, who gave the police so much trouble with minor misdeeds that the chief inspector has decided to put them together under the command of a young officer just to see if they would stop pestering. They all have a special talent or ability (nothing super-human, though) but are rather difficult to deal with. The police thought nothing of the league, at first, since it would be a sort of last resort for impossible cases, but the teens actually learn to work as a team and turn out to be the ones who solve the mystery of the missing princess (the main mystery in the storyline).

I need a name for them!!!!!!! Something awseme like "The League of Extraordinary Youngsters" (but, of course, that is a blatant plagiarism of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). So far I have "Juvenile Miscreants in Recovery", which is terrible, and "Junior Investigators of His Majesty's Police", which is the one I'm going with so far but somehow doesn't seem to fit.

It would be an official name, something that has been approved by the royal government. It also needs to sound flashy, and decidedly victorian. Like a nineteenth-century Justice League or X-Men. Can you help me pleaaase?

2. GillySoose

GillySoose New Member

Well, if it's supposed to be a government-approved title and you want it to sound realistic, I'd say go with something succinct, but not too flashy. Something like what you have sounds about right to me, really, since titles which are too epic-sounding might look a tad unrealistic and/or pretentious. That is, if you actually care about realism in the first place, heh.

Royal Police Junior Company
    Royal Investigations Unit of Gifted Children
    Royal Adolescent Society for Crime Analysis and Law-enforcement = RASCAL, lol

3. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

RASCAL. I love it, lol! I might actually go with that.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why would the name be government sanctioned?

If they are, wouldn't they be secret, with an innocuous name like Bureau 19?

5. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

Good point. However I believe secret governmental societies, as you are suggesting, are really more characteristic of presidential democracies (like the US). This would be more of a social project sanctioned by a monarchic government. The King's guard or the King's police are never secret, so I don't see why a particular segment of the King's police would need to be secret. This "young squadron" would be intended really as a kind of royal propaganda, so it would appear that the king is not isolated in his palace, but is being oh-so-merciful and contributing to the rehabilitation of his young subjects, which would otherwise be considered undeserving young delinquents.

I intend to play with the idea of this project that is created merely for show, without any real concern by the authorities, with all of these over-active teenagers that are thrown together with an inexperienced officer as their leader - something that is doomed to fail from the start - actually becoming an efficient team, a group of people that learn something valuable and fight for a common cause.

6. bo_7md

bo_7md New Member

If that is the case then wouldn't a name like 'rascals' defeat the purpose? as it would appear more demeaning than merciful. Maybe something numerical or cryptic would seem a tad official and avoid other issues. e.g. m21,-21 or L.R.P Minors Division.

7. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

Um. Yeah, you're actually right. It would be funny in an ironic way (some stupid government official naming them "Royal Adolescent Society of Crime Analysis and Law Enforcement" and not even realizing the acronym is RASCAL), but it would be kind of inconsistent. However -- pulling out the Victor Hugo out of my bag -- I have to say that a name like Bureau 19 or m21 has no "local color" whatsoever. It doesn't fit. The whole purpose of writing a steampunk story is to be able to play with XIXth century style, language, etc., for the setting, in contrast with an action-packed storyline. Now, a numerical or cryptic title would be a real turn-off. I am desperately seeking a cool genre-appropriate name.

8. Owen8

Owen8 New Member

Honestly, "Juvenile Miscreants in Recovery" sounds incredible to me.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Lyonessen Youth Omnitalented Notables Squad (LYONS)?

10. bo_7md

bo_7md New Member

The Juvenile policing society of reformed Miscreants. You might want to check Victorian slang words as well. e.g Capers: Criminals; Snakesmen: young thieves & burglars.

11. Lovelina

Lovelina Member

Wow, I don't say this often at all, but I am drawn to that plot description. Bravo!

As for the name of the group, I'd vote for RADICAL (Royal Adolescent Disciples In Crime Analysis and Law Enforcement). <- GillySoose gets half the credit

12. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

Wow. These are some amazing suggestions. Thank you so much! I'll think it over, but really, that was great help. :D

Wow, bo_7md! The "Juvenile Policing Society of Reformed Miscreants" is certainly a mouthful, hehehe. Do you know where I could find reliable reference for victorian slang and expressions?

13. baggy

baggy New Member

Royal Confederation for Justness
    Imperial Justness Society

14. bo_7md

bo_7md New Member

Heh, you wanted Victorian. "The Royal Policing Socitey of Reformed Juviniles" seemed heavier and confusing, so I went with the first.

Diaries are a very good source for slang and other information about any era.

Edit: Check your messages, I remembered a site.

15. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Charlie's Angels jumped to mind.... Replace Charlie by the name of the chief inspector.

HTH

16. Afion

Afion New Member

According to Google translate, 'Junior Investigators of His Majesty's Police' in french is 'Les EnquĂȘteurs De Police Junior De Sa MajestĂ©'. Not really a snappy name, but it sounds cool! :)

17. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

After some consideration, I decided to go with Cogito's name. It will look cooler in titles. "LYON Squad Investigations: The case of the missing princess", "LYON Squad Investigations: Murders in the opera house", and so on and so forth. Thank you all for your suggestions. I can go on writing with peace in my mind now, lol.