1. davcha

davcha Banned

Is this character believable ?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by davcha, Feb 12, 2020.

Here's the setting for my question : there's a war going on between two spacefaring civilizations. One (A) is much more advanced than the other (B). A only puts a very small percentage of its ressources in this war because they're working on a project that require them to be spread as much as possible in the universe, whereas B puts all of its ressources because it's a question of survivial. Anyway B looses the war.

In this context, a child from B longs for her father's return. He actually died in a battle against A. Child is found by some pacifist members of A who disagree with the way their govt handle their project. Let's call these P. P uplift the child against her will and knowledge by giving her an equivalent of immortality (yea, people from A can do that). P also try to confort the child about her father by telling her how his acts of bravery will never be forgotten and basically he will find immortality aswell by becoming a legend. The child tell them : "But I don't care about legend, I want my daddy !" At this point in the story, the child is way too young to fully understand what really happened.

Later, she (the child) grows up into an adult as a member of A. Basically, P adopt her and since P are member of A, they raise her as a member of A. Noone else in A knows that the child is a former member of B.
    Once an adult, one thing she remembers about her childhood and has a big effect on her view of life is that her father never came back and died. Because of this and since she is now immortal (not invulnerable though, she just can't die of old age, as some members of A), she is thanatophobiac. So much that, even if she is more pacifist than your average member of A, she would probably accept the genocide of a less advanced civilization if that could save her life or the life of her relatives. She would probably see that as a necessary sacrifice, a necessary evil, something like that. Or, had she been harmed by said less advanced civilization, a case of "you got what you f* deserve".

My question here is : is the part where she is adopted then raised by P believable or not ? I mean, she is more or less adopted by people who are part of civilization A. A civilization that is the cause of the death of her beloved father and the cause of her distorted viewpoint on reality and her torment.

2. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

Like most things, it all depends on the execution. Can you write it well? Then it works.

Just reading this, I don't really see any red flags as to why this wouldn't work. For the purposes of this question, perhaps make it clear whether or not Groups A and B are the same/a similar species, because if they're not, then this question becomes very different.

Lili.A.Pemberton likes this.
  3. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

I will say that just by reading this quick synopsis I don't see why P would adopt her. Maybe try and help the child, bring her to a relative or something. But they need a good reason to actually want to adopt her, especially since in order to adopt her they force immortality on her. That's not a nice thing to do.

I don't know it just seems like their actions could potentially make sense, but they're going to need stronger reasons for them than what you've stated. If they oppose the war on principle why just saddle themselves with one orphan when there likely would be hundreds they could help. Why not open an orphanage, or advocate against the war to their kind's governing body.

I don't know. You know your story best, and when it comes to writing, anything can work as long as the characters are behaving in ways that make sense for them.

4. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Why do you think that's not believable? What part of it raises concerns that it might not be realistic?

5. davcha

davcha Banned

I had an issue with the protagonist accepting to become a member of A, whereas they are the dudes who actually killed her family.

But in fact, TheOtherPromise pointed out what exactly annoyed me, I think. As, if it is explained why P adopted the protagonist, it most probably also explain why and how she accepted this. I can also imagine it had been very hard for her at the beginning.