1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Question for folks down under

Discussion in 'Research' started by GingerCoffee, Mar 18, 2013.

When I traveled in Australia and New Zealand we had this coffee creamer stuff you squeezed out of a tube. I need a name for it so I can look it up. I want to use it in a scene and I haven't been able to find it with Google.

Thanks.

2. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

Was it thick, almost like honey?... If so, probably condensed milk, though I've never put it in coffee.

3. GingerCoffee

It was the consistency of thin toothpaste, IIRC, and it had sugar in it. It was made to use in coffee I believe.

4. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

Condensed milk is very sweet. My girlfriend said she uses condensed milk in coffee when she goes camping. I would say that's what it was. The company Nestle produce it in a tube. It's commonly used in cooking, slices mostly, like hedgehog.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is a writing forum, not Twitter. Please use actual words, not semi-obscure texting abbreviations.

From the site rules:

6. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Yep, sounds exactly like Nestle's Condensed Milk.

7. GingerCoffee

Really? "If I recall correctly" needs to be spelled out? OK. Whoops, can I abbreviate Oh Kay?

OK, leaving the snark for another day, is there a list of acceptable acronyms? Because I agree with the principle, and don't intend to use 'r' for 'are' or 'u' for 'you', and I don't intend to write like a license plate word game. I never text message people. But text shortcuts differ distinctly from acronyms.

OP - original post
    OMG (as an atheist, I tend to use OMFSM for, oh my flying spaghetti monster)
    LOL - laughed out loud
    LMAO - laughed my ass off
    IIRC - if I recall correctly
    AFAIK - as far as I know
    ITEOTWOWKI - it's the end of the world as we know it

These are acronyms, not solely text shortcuts. How is a newbie supposed to feel badly for having used a common acronym?

I'd stick to a list if one is available, but I can't read your mind and if OK, OP, OMG and LOL are acceptable, I just have no way of knowing which acronyms are OK and which aren't.

I want to follow the rules, really I do. I like it here. I want to be loved. But in this case, I need a list. :)

8. GingerCoffee

Hooray! Thanks. That's it. I looked that up and found it. :)

The tube has changed a bit but that's just what I was looking for.

9. Selbbin

I wouldn't worry. Some people focus too much on the rules and forget what the rules are actually for. IMHO. :p

10. GingerCoffee

LOL

But I really do want to be loved here. :D

11. Selbbin

I already wuv U.

12. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

I actually had no idea what it meant, so I would say yes.

13. GingerCoffee

I'm a forum regular elsewhere, so I come across acronyms I don't recognize sometimes. And I do consulting work for a slew of businesses that use acronyms particular to their fields. Acronyms in a psych hospital can be the same letters but don't have the same meaning in an acute care hospital.

But there's a simple solution, just Google acronym and the letters, or pick yourself a site you like: Acronym finder

The bottom line, acronyms are just a fact of life today. Like it or not, they're here.

That said, I don't mind there are certain forum rules here. Most of the time people try to use text speak on other forums I post on, members let the person know it's annoying. But while 'U R gr8' is not used on most forums, a fair number of standard acronyms are.

Kids these days. What can you do? ;)

14. GingerCoffee

:D
    *:D*

15. Selbbin

It didn't impact anyone's ability to answer the question, so...

16. GingerCoffee

Your presence is intimidating but I've had time to reassess this. So with all due respect, 'IIRC' is a common net abbreviation. I don't use twitter and I don't text anyone, ever.

17. Selbbin

It says discouraged anyway. Not banned. There is nothing wrong with it and no cause for an infraction.

18. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

Strictly speaking, it's only an acronym if it makes a pronounceable word. Other than that it's simply an abbreviation. :)

Anyway, with the power not vested in me by this august forum, I now declare this thread back on topic!

I have a friend who just emigrated down under, I'll ask her. :)

19. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

I'm new too. I've seen acronyms used in this forum before and nothing was said about it. I didn't know there were rules about their use. Maybe I should read through the rules. In my humble opinion, this forum has a Low Acronym Post Percentage, (LAPP) and the posts are above average on the High Overall Readability Equation (HORE) for quality posts. I like it here.

I'm new here as well and have gained much from reading posts. Your posts are helpful, friendly and kind spirited, also full of genuine personality. I think everyone posts here in such a respectful way because they write and would rather be respectful of the tools we call words. It shows in all the posts.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i had no idea what it meant, either... and i don't see how it can be so 'common' since this is the first time i've ever seen it used...

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Passive aggressive sarcasm noted. You aren't the first to play the disingenuous act.

22. GingerCoffee

I did not know that. A quick dictionary check and I see you are correct. And yet the acronym finders on the Net are adding Net abbreviations for commonly said phrases to their lists. I do believe we are seeing evidence the definition of acronym is drifting. :) I love watching the world turn.

I'm afraid the cat is resisting going back in the bag.

Thanks so much, but I have the answer and it is Nestles Condensed Milk in a Tube.

23. GingerCoffee

And you wouldn't be the first person to completely mis-judge a fellow forum member.

Open snark (in this case, sarcasm to make a point) is a far cry from passive-aggressiveness.

I have been nothing but serious here, including the sarcasm. As I pointed out in post 16, "with all due respect, 'IIRC' is a common net abbreviation. I don't use twitter and I don't text anyone, ever."

That you and Mammamaia have not seen it is peachy. But how am I to know that? I've been posting on forums where IIRC is indeed very commonly used. And that's what the forum rule you quoted said was acceptable: "Occasional use of common net abbreviations is tolerated".

Thus, I asked for a list so I could avoid offending anyone unintentionally.

I refuse to accept being berated for not reading other people's minds. So berate all you want, I choose not to be concerned beyond looking for an amicable solution. I am a nice person, I go out of my way to be congenial, if you don't like me, it's your prerogative. But maybe if you weren't looking so hard for the bad in people, you wouldn't find it so often.

24. GingerCoffee

It's not hard to find on lists of commonly used forum acronyms. In a Google search it was on 2 of the first 3 hits that weren't redirects.

List of acronyms used in forums and IRC

Scroll down to the IRC list

I'm just defending myself here. Cog's post said I broke a rule. But there's no way for me not to break the same rule again. Not to mention, who decides which acronyms are common without a list? I'm truly not invested in using any acronym, let alone this one. But without a list, I and other new members risk being chastised for innocent mistakes. I inherited a strong fairness emotion and asking someone to follow a imprecisely worded rule based on variable interpretations is unfair.

25. Selbbin

Don't worry Ginger, not everyone flies the friendly skies. We just have to sit next to them and nod politely. The same suggestion (from another member, not a Mod, remember) could have had a different result depending on it's delivery. I too thought we were meant to be writers!

The fact that people could answer the question regardless of their understanding of IIRC, and that using such is merely discouraged in the forum regulations, negates any and all of the negative criticism. You didn't break any rule. And the fact that some people have made a big deal about such a trivial matter seems petty, and only shows them, not you, in a bad light. But let me assure you that the unfriendliness is usually from the same few people anyway. You'll get used to it and soon it will wash over you like a gentle winter breeze while you wander snug in your overcoat of confidence.

PS (HA!): BTW (HA!) condensed milk is awesome for long distance hiking and camping, just on it's own as a delicious energy source. I use powdered milk for the coffee and pasta sauce.

At least I stayed on topic. :p

1 person likes this.