1. Rumple

Rumple Member

Current WIP

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Rumple, Dec 11, 2016.

This is a story as told through the eyes of a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Marine Corps. I am unsure on how I want to write this book I have a character with other not so prevalent characters that pop up in flashbacks because they are only memories. The events in the story are real and have occurred in the past however, not by this character. I'm compiling multiple stories from friends and putting them into this characters experiences. I'm altering names to protect the identity of those who have served and are currently serving.

zoupskim likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

My thoughts? Check out the reading list of @big soft moose , or other memoirs (but I think you already have done that). I'd suggest stay with 1st person POV, and crack on writing. You won't know in advance how you want to tell the story before you started writing it. At least that's what I think. If you ever need to ask questions, I'll be available in PM and I am sure others too.

zoupskim likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

To be honest as he's lived the life, I doubt he needs the reading list i gave you - in fact I'll be looking to test some stuff with him (although my book is based on British issue so SA80s not M4s and so forth).

That said have you (@Rumple ) read stuff like Generation kill ? (Evan Wright) or My War (Colby Buzzel) or War (Sebastian Junger) not that you need to from a facts point of view but to check out the writing and how the stories are told.

You might want to check out some of the earlier stuff like Fields of Fire by James Webb , and Sand in the Wind by Robert Roth (both about the 5th marines in Vietnam - by ex USMC officers) to get a feeling for how fictionalised fact works - one of the main problems being how something can be absolutely true to life but still feel implausible , particularly to the reader without a military background.

Another common area to struggle with is jargon - ie how to include enough for verisimilitude without including so much as to baffle the non forces reader. I suspect most readers of this sort of book will recognise the common phrases , but I was surprised on another thread to see how many people didn't realise that Pax means passenger

zoupskim likes this.
  4. Lifeline

I didn't suggest the reading list for the facts (what a thought! don't you know me better by now???) but for the 'tools of the trade of writing' ;)

Cave Troll, zoupskim and Simpson17866 like this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Course I do - sorry :friend:

zoupskim and Lifeline like this.
  6. Rumple

Rumple Member

I'm not sure if I want to write it as if I'm re-living the experiences through the character as the story is being told, or if I should tell them in real time even though they have already existed?

Lifeline and zoupskim like this.
  7. Lifeline

I say it depends on if you want to cast it as fiction of non-fiction.

- For fiction writing (i.e. re-living through the character as the story is being told and talking through the character in 3rd person 'He') I'd think that past tense works best.
    - For non-fiction (real time), present tense and 1st person (i.e. 'I'). edit: You could also write 1st person + past tense now that I think about it. I think I actually prefer that :rolleyes:. Sorry for the confusion..

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. For myself, I find the impact of non-fiction infinitely more hitting than the best 'fiction' books. But that might be just me.

@big soft moose :superwhew::friend:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    zoupskim likes this.
  8. big soft moose

I'd say I and past tense if you are writing an autobiography (even if you are using some experiences from friends - all autobiogs are styled to tell the story the best way)

In fiction you could write either first or third in past or present (though many people prefer past) - if you want you can still write as I and the character you are inhabiting doesn't have to be you (although if its close to you you might want a disclaimer at the begining that its fiction)

9. Rumple

Rumple Member

If the both of you @Lifeline and @big soft moose don't mind I can send you an insert or two I have already and let me know why you think?

10. Lifeline

Send away :)

zoupskim likes this.
  11. big soft moose

fine by me

zoupskim likes this.