Tags:
  1. Nova Aren

Nova Aren New Member

Is this grammatically correct?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Nova Aren, Jun 21, 2017.

So I'm trying to write my own novel, and there's a scene where the main character is being treated to an item at a café, and he doesn't want to get anything expensive.
    Would it be grammatically correct to say:
    "I decided to go with something inexpensive so as to not overreach on her generosity." ?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't know if it's correct or incorrect, but it's certainly clunky. There are a lot of colloquialisms ("to go with", "so as to not" "overreach on") that make it awkward.

Can you simplify it? "I decided on something inexpensive so I wouldn't take advantage of her generosity" or something?

3. nlspeed

nlspeed New Member

'On her' seems wrong, regarding 'generosity'. Though there is a good forum somewhere - how mysterious, but I can't remember its name :p - that answers many such grammar questions.

Regardless, it doesn't read very pleasantly in general.

Something like: "I decided on something inexpensive so as to not take advantage of her generosity." Or somesuch, would be better, I think. What BayView said, yes.

'Inexpensive' is fitting enough - it fits better than cheap, in my eyes, but it may depend on the character you're writing - but 'overreach' sounds odd, and 'on' would be more fitting than 'to go with', I think.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

"overreach on" doesn't work for me. "impose on"?

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I agree - overeach is one of those business bullshit bingo terms these days, but it doesnt mean what you are using it to mean here.... its more a sense of going too far .... "I ordered the Chateua Briand but realised i'd overreached when i checked my wallet"

I'd say Impose on, take advantage of, or exploit would work better

6. SmashedPumpkin

SmashedPumpkin New Member

Do you even need to point out the intention after the fact? Specifically stating that you ordered something inexpensive might be enough to show consideration for her generosity, or to at least give the reader something to think about regarding your intentions.