1. MiaCulvz

MiaCulvz New Member

Is this mix of genres even plausible?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by MiaCulvz, Oct 1, 2016.

I have recently found a writing prompt that I have started to develop into a short story/novella. It is a prompt that would typically be in the 'horror/thriller' genre; however as I've worked on it more; I noticed that I have formed a plot that mixes the genres of horror/thriller/ murder mystery.
    The basics of the plot is a teenage boy having just moved to a new town and house; and one night discovers a ghost in his cupboard- a blood covered 'tween' male ghost. As my plot develops, it reveals that the boy (ghost); was murdered; and it became a cold case; the boy (human); agrees to help the ghost discover his murderer.
    Is this mix of genres plausible; or have I just made the novella into a completely new genre? If so which genre? If not, is the mix of genres 'correct'?

2. nataku

nataku Member

Horror/thriller often goes with murder mystery. I don't see why it would be incorrect or implausible.

Simpson17866 and BayView like this.
  3. MiaCulvz

MiaCulvz New Member

Thanks Nataku. I have to admit- most of the murder mysteries I have read didn't delve anywhere into horror- hence the uncertainty. But thank you; that is great to hear.

4. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

I agree there's nothing wrong with mixing these genres. Actually you can mix any two or more genres together, even if they seem incompatible at first. There's no rule against it, nor should there be. It's all about the execution. If done right, any genre combination could work.

MiaCulvz likes this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

No problem at all at mixing elemental genres. In fact the Writing Excuses podcasters are spending this entire year exploring the basic genres and how they can be combined.

Be aware that horror/thriller tends to go more for the gut, while a murder mystery is primarily aimed at the head--- the idea is more important than the effect. So you'll have to decide which genre is primary, and then work the others in to make a good balance.

That said, I'm having a hard time figuring out how anyone can discover a blood-covered ghost in a cupboard. Ghosts (if we allow for the sake of discussion that they exist) are incorporeal. They might frequent a certain place, but they wouldn't be confined to it. And I can't conceive of one just sitting still on a shelf waiting to be discovered by a living mortal.

A skeleton or some other human remains in the cupboard, that I could believe. And having the ghost appear to the boy to explain that the remains are his.

Anyway, if the boys, dead and alive, are able to have a rational conversation, I assume that the horror lies somewhere else. With the murderer and what he or she does, maybe. So if I'm reading you right, the mystery element would dominate, and the horror and thrill elements will be there to up the reader's pulse rate.

MiaCulvz and Fernando.C like this.