1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

The Writing Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cacian, Nov 20, 2011.

I thought we could pull our ideas together and share them here by posting them.
    it will should make a fun read.

I usually like to rely on expressions, language and people to write.
    I have recently come up with this idea, a genre if you like, called

what if?
    what I do is I for example take an expression, any expression, like this:

'let them eat cake' '

which it is apparently a Mary Antoinette famous quote.
    my input to it is like this:

what if the people turned around and aswered Mary Antoinette like this:

'No, not cake we want to eat bread'
    and so I would go on imagining a whole plot,scene around this idea , which isn't anywhere in the books or history and would make a clever little story out of it.
    I have already got my main character, a hero/leader and a protagonist,
    then I have a crowd, a set of characters, in parellel to the Mary Antoinette.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that is, in fact, pretty much what the people of france did reply to her unfeeling remark, which was made in response to the people bemoaning the fact that due to her outrageous excesses that were bankrupting the nation, they couldn't afford to even buy bread to feed their families... which is, in large part, what set off the french revolution!

as for not being mentioned in books or history, haven't you read hugo's 'les miserables' or studied any french history?

and btw, her name was 'marie' antoinette, not 'mary'...

3. mammamaia

dupe deleted

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am speaking hyperthatically, not to be taken literally.
    I yet have to come across a reply to any expressions I have seen or know about.
    and that is where I come in. I shall extend on it in the way I see fit because it is not there.

the world knows of the French Revolution and yes we heard of Les Miserables how could one escape it.
    It has practically lived in London for as long as I can remember. I have skimmed the book and heard of the writer.
    I do not claim to know him. I have never met him and have no desire too either.
    One man's book in another man's waste if I have to follow the saying of one man's meat is another man's poison.
    I am entitled my opinion on victor huguot.
    In the same way that I do not like Dickens.
    Dickens is according to me another Huguot.
    They both engaged in writing in ''dark and macabre way.They should have met over a cup of Frappachino. They would have made a perfect duet.
    It is a style I see as pointless and not interesting.
    I reserve judgment. Just because it is famous does not mean I am going to like it.
    Mary Antoinette or Marie Antoinette , whatever.
    I speak French/ English and so I am entitled to make that assumption with the Y in the same that I find the word
    carnevoyeur in the urban dictionary.
    carne is Spanish for meat
    voyeur is French.
    both together apparentlymake up this macabre word

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

on a joky note:
    isn't IE and abbreviation for I mean to say?
    and Y is nothing so I will spell it Mary with a Y instead for laughs.
    onemore
    have you ever wondered what would someone called Mary born to French and English parents do to spell her name Mary/ie??

6. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

Well.... he died about 130 years ago. I don't think anyone would've thought the contrary...

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

haha...which brings to thinking is every book out there has an actual face?
    meaning is the writer really as they say or describe they are.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I don't really get this idea, or how it works in the first place or even the purpose if it. why all these concepts, just write! that is what I do, at least.
    What if... you should just use this time for writing your ideas instead of posting zillions of threads about them?

9. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

What is your native language, just out of curiosity?

10. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Why go for someone’s famous quote when you can look at the history of the event. that will be a better teacher then any single person. Throughout history we see governments get bloated then fall. These large and expensive governments, damage their economies and take on financial obligations they can not support. So they begin borrowing masses of capital removing it form the economy. No longer having capital for investment and entrapanorial projects the economy slows down as all of the little investing there is left goes to the government. Then there comes a collapse or crisis.

11. Cacian

Cacian Banned

French and Arabic

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

the reasoning behind this idea is just one way of writing.
    it is relying on language to write language if you like.
    Ideas need to come from somewhere and so I am suggesting to look for them in the language itself.
    If you want to beat routine then you have find ways to find other new ideas not tried yet.
    if you look and study language as I do I find it rich for words and a plaform for historical documents and fake or made up stories from as far the Paharoahs.
    each era has its own language if you like.
    when I am researching a word or looking up a fact I always come across, new or bizzare ideas and concepts that are just there begging to pick and discussed
    the example I gave was famous quotes such the one I stated which could make the perfect plaform for a satyrical story.
    the fact that ''let them eat cake' is there then I could rely on that to write my satyre on it and come up with a perfectly decent read.
    the book would have an opening like this or a prologue like this:
    ''no we do not wish for cake we want bread''
    and from there you can build yoru story.
    just an idea.

13. mammamaia

i have to wonder if you ever actually write anything [other than posts], cacian... if so, what have you written, or what are you working on?

with the number of threads you've started in less than a month since you came here, i don't see how you'd have any time to write whatever it is that you want to write as a 'writer'... or does your writing only consist of starting threads and writing site posts?

hope you can forgive my curiosity, but you must admit your slew of threads has certainly piqued it greatly... ;)

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am mainly poetry and children stories
    I have a collection of peotrie and few children's stories.
    I can post a couple of each if you want to see them.

and to answer your question I am on this forum to research language and also do some thinking.
    I can only do that by communicating.
    I do write in a second language so it is not easier for me hence the number of threads.

15. mammamaia

so, do you write your poetry and children's stories in a language you can handle better than english, so they'll be understandable to their readers?

16. Cacian

Cacian Banned

yes I do, I have, but since I have the advantage of speaking other languages I like to challenge myself.
    I do not think my poetries and work is entirely non understable. I have and have had excellent reviews from other sources so I am not put off by what I am putting in.
    My work is not everyone's cup of tea, it might not be understandable to you but it is perfeclty fine and has been to others.
    It is simply what you make of it.

17. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

I'm sorry, I got confused somewhere along the line. Was the point of this thread to share writing ideas? Because it seems so far the thread is turning into a 'let's attack Cacian' thing and I don't think we want sensitive writers like me to see this and getting the wrong idea about the community here.

18. foosicle

foosicle New Member

Walking through a entire of a 'day in the life' for my characters seems to be sufficient to start writing.

19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

But the "let them eat cake" line was _in response_ to a demand for bread, so bread would not be a new idea in this story.

ChickenFreak

20. Cacian

Cacian Banned

fo course that too but remember that I am trying to get together for ideas to share be it different or slightly off the cut.

21. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am aware of the history but my response was just a reply, some kind of ajoke, in a satyrical way, to write start writing something.
    I mean we do not know for sure what the response, verbally, was to that quote.
    It is just a play on words, nothing more to it hence the 'what if' and the 'IDEA' thread.

22. Cacian

Cacian Banned

double post

23. Cacian

Cacian Banned

These are new ideas I came up with to develop my writing

One STORY and MANY versions to it
    Or I would call it an ''open end'' Story

Seasonal writing (summer/winter/autumn/spring/ Christmas Time/ wedding Time/ New relationhips Time/becoming a parent Time/...) so whilst I am writing each story will take place under each of these headings if you like
    so rewriting a story using these particular time slots
    I call it developing a concept through writing to bring them to life.

Cross Gender/Title/Role... where by I would attempt to write the exact same story using a woman's point of view/then a man's/kid's/teenager/lover/married woman/divorcee/Happy voice/not so happy/politician/then both a man and woman's/ etc...
    so here the concept is on one character's mood or personality.

Time Concept:
    Present/past/ Futur/Unknown or Neutral meaning there is not time slot/.. using again story using different time format.

This would make a good practice I think.
    what do you think?

24. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

That's one way to go about it. Personally, when I write a story I tend to know what the plot is and the point I'm trying to make by writing the story.

25. Marmalade

Marmalade New Member

But isn't there some doubt about the literal meaning of her words? I was under the impression her statement could have been interpreted differently. There is an interesting article about it here http://history.howstuffworks.com/european-history/top-5-marie-antoinette-scandals1.htm