Tags:
  1. WNP

WNP Member

Is this reference ok?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by WNP, Sep 17, 2017.

Bit of background:
    My current WIP is set in the real world but is fantasy based.

I have characters that are powerful (speed, strength, telekinesis etc.) and one character that's new to all this who happens to be more powerful than all the others, but hasn't learned to control his powers properly yet. So every now and then he manages to tap this power when he's in danger, but he can't hold it for long.

So the line in my book is:

"He remembered the feeling, it was that same fear and anger he’d felt the last time he’d gone all Super Saiyan mode."

Is that ok? There are fight scenes in the book which draw inspiration from Dragon Ball Z (in terms of having super powerful beings fighting it out) but the story is completely different. I just wanted to include the line for a bit of humour and as a nod to the inspiration.

Thanks,
    Will

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I wouldn't go for it. The problem I have with references - any references - is that not everyone's going to get it, and for those that don't, they now feel like they're missing something and are left out + probably pulled out of the story. Personally, I don't think any reference is worth that.

Does yours work in context? Yeah, seems like it. As references go, it's likely fine. It's just a matter of whether you should or really want to do references at all.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What is "Super Saiyan"?

I ask for two reasons. One is to ascertain whether or not there could be a copyright infringement. If it's a title or the name of a character, then, no, it's not a copyright infringement. However, it could be a trademark infringement, which would be just as bad.

But the other is to demonstrate that your reference went zinging right past me, which it also would for any reader not familiar with Dragon Ball Z (whatever that is). By including such references, you are narrowing your target audience. Not a good idea if you're aspiring to publication (which I assume you are, since you posted a copyright question).

Good luck with your project.

4. WNP

WNP Member

Thanks guys.

You make good points about it going over some peoples heads, so I think I'll just take it out. No point in having something that might alienate some readers (my writing can do that all by itself ;) ).

That also removes any risk of copyright issues that it might have caused.

Cheers!

5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I think that references are okay if they're a big enough pop culture reference that you can reasonably infer that most readers will get it. Your reference flew over my head too, but if you'd replaced Super Saiyan with Hulk I'd have gotten it in an instant. Not because I'm a Marvel geek (I'm not), but The Hulk has been around in many incarnations for decades, and the Avengers franchise is so freaking ubiquitous these days.

This of course now has me questioning a reference to the 80's Heavy Metal band Dio in my current WIP...

Stormburn likes this.