1. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Writing advice from Hemingway...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by NaCl, Jan 29, 2009.

I was reading Ernest Hemingway's biography today and found this short passage enlightening. Thought I'd share it...

In the short time that Hemingway worked for the Kansas City Star he learned some stylistic lessons that would later influence his fiction. The newspaper advocated short sentences, short paragraphs, active verbs, authenticity, compression, clarity and immediacy. Hemingway later said: "Those were the best rules I ever learned for the business of writing. I've never forgotten them."

This quote is from The Hemingway Resource Center at this URL:

http://www.lostgeneration.com/ww1.htm

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I can see that quote hidden behind the text in 'Whom The Bell Tolls'.
    Hemmingway was truly a great writer. I Love that book.

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

He was also an editor of a magazine before writing any of his major works. I wonder if his editing experience compares, although on a greater scale, to the developmental benefit our members receive from "reviewing" in this website.

4. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I got very interested in Hemmingway's life and times when I visited his house in Key West. The Old Man and The Sea also reminds me of my grandfather.

He still has a lot to teach an aspiring writer.

5. Leo

Leo New Member

Completely agree. Admire him greatly for his abandonment of fancy writing in exchange for simplistic clarity. He's always been one of my personal strongest influences.