Tags:
  1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Is This Too Much?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by frigocc, Mar 27, 2019.

Basically, writing my story, and constantly adding elements to the story that I find entertaining.

My story first started as a lone hero narrating his story. Then, it moved to third-person. Then, third-person, but the main character would go back and forth with the narrator. Now, I'm wanting to add a second main character, but NOT have him go back and forth with the narrator.

Sounds dumb, but think a Mac and Charlie duo from It's Always Sunny, told from a third-person narration, with Charlie butting in to correct the narrator sometimes.

Would this just be too confusing, going back and forth from one main character, to the narrator, to the other main character? Or am I just overthinking this stuff? I think the latter is probably it...

2. Colactix

Colactix Member

Narrators can be tricky. Personally, I like a pretty stable narrator. Unless it's first-person, then some unreliability can creep in.

It would have to be clearly distinguished, and the characters/narrators voices unique enough as not to cause more confusion.

Why the shifting around of narrators in the first place, though? If there's no particular reason which affects the story, or a no part of the plot which it directly relates to, I wouldn't bother. Making writing as clear and as easy to understand as possible is #1 on the list.

3. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

I should mention that I didn't mean necessarily the switching of narrators. More like the main character interacting with the narrator when he says something incorrect, something the MC doesn't like, or when the narrator talks smack about him.

4. Colactix

Colactix Member

Yeah, I think I've seen it a few times.

What's the reason for the interactions and what purpose do they serve? Does the character know/knew the narrator? How is the character interacting with them, telepathically, or with words? Can the omniscient narrator tell the character of the outside world?

Ask a load of questions and see where you end up.