Is writing easy for you?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SMTM, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Ippo

Ippo Member

That's what I get from my friends, too.
    That's probably because I like watching more than reading (is it okay to say such thing on here? :D)

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

He is pretty clever

Ivana likes this.
  3. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I'm good at making dem sentences, but they never fit into a bigger picture.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Yes, so maybe that is a good thing then? And considering the genres I write, I think a certain flow in language is pretty common and also appreciated. If I were to write another genre or about other things I could probably want the language to be more edgy. :)

Tenderiser likes this.
  5. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

@Ippo Actually, I prefer reading over movies, always have. But I guess that's because I'm visual type (I can hardly learn something by listening, I need to see things written down, for example).

6. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Apparently I am good at dialogue. That is something which I never would have guessed :eek:
    And I can do pretty good descriptives, also. And tying one scene concisely, to the point, to another. Never would have guessed from my previous writing experiences as a scientist :rolleyes:

I won't comment on stuff I do wrong as that is not the place for that, just trust that there are these points too :D

7. Topaztock

Topaztock Member

Talking here about the actual process, typing words after a lot of other words.

The new quote I need to print out and stick on my computer (right above "the first draft of everything is shit") is "Don't compare your first draft to someone's finished one" but at the same time when I am writing... it does seem like total rubbish. Like, unusable rubbish.

I know you can fix it in editing but I can't help wondering what the point is if it's going to be totally rewritten.

This is making it difficult for me to actually sit down and type because I'm demoralised after a bad writing sesh I leave it for ages. I definitely feel like there's more bad stuff coming onto the page than good.

Does anyone else ever feel like this? Do you have to literally write rubbish and have faith in your 'vision' and know that one day you'll work it into what it needs to be?

PBNJDraftNumbA likes this.
  8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

What's the point of buying chicken and onions and wine if they're just going to have to be cut up and cooked?

Because you have to start with something. The first draft is the raw ingredients.

Kinzvlle, GingerCoffee and peachalulu like this.
  9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

My first first draft was a lot worse than my second first draft which was a lot worse than my third first draft... repeat to infinity. In each case I couldn't have ended up with my final draft without the first one.

Topaztock and GingerCoffee like this.
  10. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Sure. Sometimes I feel like a turd-wielding monkey could produce better literature than I do. Sometimes not. My (limited) experience is that it all gets better with time. My first drafts these days are far better than they were a few years ago.

Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes! Just write. Put your head down and push through. Sometimes the only way is the hard way. It feels good to get an idea out there and shape it until it is what you want.

Rewriting is inevitable. It's gonna happen. I look at my first draft as the pile of sand that will eventually become a castle.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  11. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Is writing easy for you?

Yes if you mean how much I enjoy it. No if you mean how easy is it for me to get the right words on the page.

12. GingerCoffee

Sounds just like my writing.

Tenderiser likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

I accept without question that when I started this novel I didn't know how to write fiction. So every time I get better, I'm ecstatic. I never worry about how bad it is today because it's better than it was yesterday.

14. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I've been writing for years but I didn't really improve until I started editing, critiquing other peoples work, and finishing things.
    Writing isn't an action so much as a process and you can't really skip the steps. And after some years you'll develop enough style and confidence that there won't be as many steps. Things will come out sounding more polished and less rough. My first drafts now, look like my heavily polished drafts of six years ago. By all accounts they're still rough, especially grammar wise but I'm more pleased with them.
    Look at everything you put down as something good and don't rush things. I've been furious with certain drafts but I'm always glad to have them as they're something to work with. Restarting all the time keeps you at first draft level. Polishing helps you to understand things need to be shaped. Perfection doesn't just spew out.

15. Topaztock

Topaztock Member

Thanks guys.

I'm very new to writing but the idea of first drafts as a whole getting better as you go on is quite reassuring. Going to give myself to freedom to mess up a little.

Absolute beginner and all that.

Tenderiser likes this.
  16. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

Oh man. When I first got started, my first drafts were one small step above street corner hobo ramblings. If you just started writing then you really should just write and write until you get better. Attend classes, read books (both for fun and about the craft of writing), and participate in editing. Post short stories for critique and you will learn a lot. If you have a local writers organization you should definitely join it.

Best of luck and have fun!

Tenderiser likes this.
  17. Topaztock

Topaztock Member

I think I've been writing for about 5 years so not totally new to it but definitely inexperienced. Thanks though, will definitely critique and post for critiques. :)

18. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

I just read, "Do not compare your singing to anyone but yourself, yesterday" (to parphrase).
    Kind of goes with your quotes.

Topaztock likes this.
  19. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Sort of. Writing the dialogue sucks though.

20. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

Yeah, I don't agree with that quote. The more you look at something objectively the better you are going to be at fixing problems with it. I think the attitude is the thing that is holding you back. It's fine to recognize your writing is rubbish, but being discouraged by that by that isn't a good thing. You should be motivated to make it something that isn't rubbish. I think with writing this is often tough because on the surface everything about it seems so subjective. People like what they like and the reasons are often debated upon analysis. Breaking writing up into individual parts is hard sometimes. To make matters worse, the way to get out of seeing something as too daunting to achieve is usually to break it into small tasks. For example, I've been trying to get better at chess recently as a hobby. When I look back on a game I play I have to be honest and say a certain move was good or bad and compare it to what a grandmaster probably would've done with the help of computer analysis. So in that respect it is important to hold my actions to the standard of a grandmaster. However, this comparison is done with reference to each move, not to with what rating I have overall and how I suck compared to them or how I'll never be as good as them so I should just quit. Compare yourself to the greats to see how you can improve, not to seek motivation on how close you already are to them. You will just get burnt every time if you do that, well, unless you are actually great, but at that point you have learned not to do that anyway.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  21. Topaztock

Topaztock Member

I think the point of that quote is in terms of quality and category error - one isn't finished, so would never be as good as something that was finished and polished. It's more of a 'get it on the page' type thing, which I need to keep in mind. I think you're talking about learning which is a never ending process but should be kept separate from the actual writing process.

You're dead right it is an attitude thing though.

22. IlaridaArch

IlaridaArch Active Member

Finally I understand the story behind your username.

Topaztock likes this.
  23. MartinWellow

MartinWellow Member

How do you people handle good paragraphs?

I find that very occasionally I look at a finished paragraph and it makes me smile with joy.
    I just know I've nailed it (in my own head, at my own level of crappy writing of course).
    It's self-contained, tight, flows, gets across the information it needs to, is enjoyable to read and may even have 'style'.

Then I look at the paragraphs around it and the elation goes.
    The rest are clearly not as good.

Do you just plug on and hope to make another as good, happy that you got one, or endlessly try to bring them all up to the same level?

24. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Mmm, paragraphs - the bane of my writing. I'm exactly the same and when it happens I'm in doubt a new one needs to start. Often, though, I argue with myself at length as to whether the next sentence should be a continuation or the start of a new one.

I suppose it depends on what kind of writer you are. Do you polish as you go, or write roughly and polish in subsequent drafts? If it's the latter, just move on and sort the duff ones out when you re-write.

I have to get each reading as good as possible (on the day) as I can, but know from experience that when you read a paragraph, even the following day, that doesn't sound right, you know almost indistinctly how to fix it because you're reading it with a fresh mind. In my case, nine times out of ten, it's that the paragraph wasn't long enough, so I just elaborate on the sentences until the rhythm feels right.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  25. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A good paragraph really only works if it's in a good story. I tend not to favor one paragraph over the next in my own writing. They continue to build on each other to tell the story. I don't think I want to have these special paragraphs. That being said, of course, as readers of books by other writers, we are always going to discover things that stand out to us in a good way. That could very well be a paragraph or even a phrase. If I had to have a best paragraph somewhere, I would want it to be the first paragraph, followed by an equally good paragraph with this pattern continuing. It can be hard to judge style based on one paragraph. And, honestly, if that favorite paragraph has the style you want your writing to be in but the others don't, than I'm not sure it's really your style just yet. I think an important part of writing is consistency. Without it, you might have a few good paragraphs that you feel proud of, but it's important to think big picture. You have a paragraph you love, and that's great. Now, do it again with the next one. If you think you found your style, try to embrace it. None of us here are simply paragraph writers. Also, I don't hope for anything when it comes to the way I write. It's work and dedication and practice and reading and reading a lot more.

Lifeline likes this.