1. yuriicide

yuriicide New Member

E Readers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yuriicide, Feb 3, 2011.

I just ordered my Amazon Kindle on the web (should be here in about a week) and I'm really looking forward to it :D Holds up to 3000 books, although I will still always prefer "real" books just for that raw feeling and emotion. Do any of you have an e reader? If so, how do you find it and do you prefer it to proper books?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I have a Kindle. I don't view it as a replacement for paper books, but rather a useful alternative. Most of my usage revolves around newspapers/magazines, and articles for university at the moment really. It's massively more convenient to read the Guardian or New Statesman (yeah, guess where my political alleigiances lie...) on the Kindle than the paper versions. And it saves me a massive amount in printing costs to be able to put academic journal articles on it to read.

With reading fiction, convenience is a large part of the attractiveness. To be able to find, download and start reading a book in less than a minute is fantastic. Now I just need to drum up some support in Parliament for removing VAT on e-books.

3. Argle

Argle New Member

I prefer and embrace my Kindle over paper books for both convenience and immersion. For convenience, it's so easy to buy a book and have it. It's easy to carry around a ton of books (I mean, the Kindle is smaller than one hardcover book). It's possible to read one-handed (if I want to rest my head on the other hand or hold a drink or whatever). For immersion, I've realized how distracting and detracting the simple act of turning pages can be and how much even the slight movement of page-turning broke my flow sometimes. Reading seems more fluid on the Kindle, but that's just me. :)

I'll never buy another paper book again (unless I need something that is illustrated).

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I use an iPad for reading and I have never looked back. Before the purchase of the iPad I was a staunch purist as regards paper over silicon, but the benefits outweigh any emotional attachment I have to a "proper" book. Where I live, books in my preferred genre are not easily come by in English.

5. abbigailrosewood

abbigailrosewood New Member

I have an Ipad and I downloaded all the Classics on to it since the authors are no longer alive. However, I still prefer paperback to any electronic version and I also buy books simply to support writers. I don't think anything could replace the feeling of a new crisp book on my hand, turning the first then the last page, placing it on my shelf, looking back from time to time and think "Ah! What a great story that was."

6. jack744

jack744 New Member

I used to have a Sony eReader, which was great. Then my wife bought me an iPad for Xmas and I was blown away. The print is pin sharp and the app I use has a 'night' mode which inverses the screen colour so the words are white on a black background. This massively reduces eyestrain. Aside from books, downloading newspapers and magazines is a cinch and they look better than the real thing. All this on top of a media powerhouse which puts the world at my fingers. Only downside? You can't leave it lying around and I have nightmares where I'm reading by a pool and a child splash dives right next to me...... :eek:

7. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I have a kindle and I really like it, but I have to admit I prefer paperbacks. For me, personally, I can't beat the feel and smell of a book in my hands!

I purchased a Kindle but don't use it too much. I'm glad I have it, as sometimes it's just nice to be able to quickly download a book (and often buy it cheaper) online.