"Is Your Manuscript Dead on Arrival?" test

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Simpson17866, Jul 31, 2016.

1. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

Oh and I cant stand Mary Sues. I didnt even know what that was until this quiz. All my characters are flawed in some way. No one in my stories or IRL are perfect.

2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Haha, I made a 97/100. I "failed" the food-centric question, but that's actually a lie because the food-centric scene does advance the plot and characters! So, technically, I made a 100/100.

It was a fun test, but like all these kinds of tests, I think it's way too narrow-minded. Plus, some of the questions weren't descriptive enough (such as the food-centric question).

It was fun though! It'll take me a while to read everyone else's responses, but I'm looking forward to it!

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Frenzied rage/panic/excitement etc.

4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I have a number gripes with this. The question about tropic characters, the question about not revealing pov info, the question about cryptic characters, the question about food, and the question about battles. Maybe some other too. I agree with others than this is a good in theory thing but the execution is too generalized yet authoritative. Taken as doctrine this advice is terrible. Most/all writing advice seems to be more of a tip system than like laws.
    Since no-one else put it here;
    [​IMG]