1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It really can happen...

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by deadrats, May 21, 2019.

When I first joined this forum I felt like I was trying so hard and nothing was working. I'm in a totally different spot right now. I'm selling my stuff on a pretty regular basis and I've had more than one person want to talk to me about a books. It's crazy. I was so frustrated. I was in a low place. I felt like this was going to be a life-long pursuit with very little chance of paying off. Nothing came easy or quickly, but I'm in a completely different place. My work is getting noticed and published. I wasn't sure I would ever get to where I am now. And new opportunities are popping up. If you really want this, give it all you got and hold on. It can happen. And there's nothing in the world that feels like publishing!!! I'm writing this post because I want all of you who struggle and feel discouraged to know that it's all part of the process. Read and write and read and write. Hard work pays off.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline Going South. Supporter Contributor

It's so good to see your success. You kept at it despite a whole lot of rejections. I remember, every time I looked at the 'rejection' thread it seemed to be full of your entries. Still is, I suppose :p.

You are what you make of yourself. If you work hard enough, long enough, if you put yourself in fortune's path, the chances of the draw are a whole lot better than if you only occassionally and half-hearted make a stand; at least that is what I belief and try to live by. Chance favours the prepared mind. Luis Pasteur got it right. You, too.

Stormburn and deadrats like this.
  3. deadrats

Real life sucks. Writing life is going great. Why does there have to be a trade off? But I'm super happy. Too excited to sleep. Lots of good things in the works. It doesn't get easier. There's still a lot to do. But I've got contracts coming in the mail. Money coming in. Publishing dates. Yay! This sort of stuff really happens. I think we all have to go through that stage where we think it's never going to happen. And if you can keep working through that and handle a million doors slammed in your face... Well, I didn't do anything other than keep at it. I don't even know if I thought things like this would actually happen. I wanted them, for sure. I don't know This is all kind of awesome. I hope all of you reach similar success. It sure is harder than I thought it would be. And I was starting to think I was crazy, but I kept at it. So, keep at it. Even when it seems pointless. We've got to write more than we think and we have to get rejected so many times it feels like the universe is saying give up. But don't. I don't know. Maybe this path will be easier for some of you. It was really hard for me to get here. But I'm in a great place. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  4. Aceldama

Aceldama Member

I'm happy you found success in your writing endeavours. I'm curious to know a bit more about your journey. Could you get into a bit of detail? Perhaps more about your books, and the entire process as a whole, from rejection to publication. The details you feel are important to know for someone inquiring. If you have the time.

Again, congratulations. I hope it only gets better for you.

deadrats likes this.
  5. deadrats

I don't really go into too many specifics on this forum, but if you want to take a look at my journey, you can check out the rejection thread I started a few years back. That's pretty much how it goes. I will say getting into certain publications can lead to other opportunities. I have a publisher interested in my half-finished novel based on other writing he's read of mine. Where you publish can make a huge difference. But it's pretty hard to have control over that. Like I said, just look at my rejection thread. With my fiction, I broke in at one of the top magazines in the country. I really didn't see that coming. I had years of nothing but reaction. I just read more and wrote better. I didn't stay tied to work that wasn't going to get me anywhere. I tried to write more like stories in the top publications. And it happened. And then there is a bit of a chain reaction, though, nothing happened immediately. Anyway, I just wanted to let people know even when you reach the point of thinking it's never going to happen, work harder. It can totally happen. It's just a harder and longer journey than it seems like it should be. At least it was for me.

I will add that I did formally study writing, I have an MFA. I've been at this a long time. Also, I was rejected over 400 times before selling my first piece of fiction.

Stormburn, EFMingo and Aceldama like this.
  6. Siriusly

Siriusly Member

I always appreciate when writers are transparent in the unfolding of their journey. It's a great story in and of itself.

Thanks for sharing!

deadrats likes this.
  7. deadrats

Here's a link to the rejection thread. Getting rejected? Join in. Looking for places to submit your work? You'll see where I'm sending my stuff as well as others. We're mostly focused on the magazines and journals with this thread, but it's a longstanding list of fail attempts with a few bits of good news. :)

Rejection, rejection, rejection...

Siriusly likes this.
  8. Siriusly

Siriusly Member

Thanks for the link!