1. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

Sawmill Job Roles?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ziggy., Jul 26, 2016.

I'm writing a short story set in the Pacific-Northwest--and a key part of the story is the main character returning home to take over the sawmill business his father left him. However, while I understand the process of a sawmill and what it does; I'm not sure of the specific roles within said sawmill. Does it just consist of workers and an owner? Foremen? Supervisors? I could use some help or some links to this.

2. loonypapa

loonypapa Member

matwoolf and Ziggy. like this.
  3. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

Wow. Extremely helpful. Thankyou!

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Don't forget admin lady 1, and also lady 2 in human resources. Need some shine in your place - otherwise only filth, beard, & woodchips.

SethLoki and Ziggy. like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

How successful is it? That will determine how many employees. Rough rule of thumb for a smallish business - $150k turnover per employee, per $7k nett profit, per $2k CEO salary. Put some meat on that; $7,500,000 turnover = 50 employees, $350,000 nett, $100,000 CEO salary.

Scale it up or down to the size you want.

He's moving back home to take it over? How long since his father died? If the business has been getting by without family input, how good are the "managers"? He could be going back to a company on the brink of collapse, or he could be going back to a place that's running very nicely indeed, and who needs his input, coming in with his fancy Harvard ideas!

Ziggy. likes this.
  6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Chapter One, A New Order, d1

'That is a terrifying document,' said blue-eyed Zack Pencil, and stood - the far end of the plastic board table. He faced the dozen ties of his executive committee:

'Gentlemen, lady,' he said, 'from now on - heh, heh - no more venn diagram logistic transition infomations - here at World Lumber International.'

Zack tossed the manual out the open window,

'No, from now on we is stripping, back to basics. It's what daddy would have wanted, it's what the market wants, now, today going faawards...so...so...listen up, loafers - I got something for all you boys, and madam.'

Zack whistled, his secretary, Mrs Pennyworthy, rushed through the doors, a cardboard box gripped to her chest.

'Put em on!'

Later, and downstairs the committee assembled in the new blue collar, the boiler suits, and Zack awarded each one his own tiny hacksaw. 'Get into the woods, boys and men. Let's fell them trees...'

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  7. Ziggy.

Ziggy. Active Member

Extremely helpful! :)