Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It's going to be great.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by deadrats, Aug 23, 2017.

Do you guys ever introduce something weird, intriguing, puzzling, etc. into your novel before you know where you're going with it? I just kind of did this with a walk-through character that at some point has to come back so his weirdness can be explained. A few of my characters are at a dinner party and this guy is kind of working the room with his weird story. Only the story gets cut short. I don't want him to tell his whole story that night. But I do know I want this guy and his story to reappear. This is my favorite part of the novel so far and I have know idea where it's going. Can I just trust that it will come to me when the time is right? Or do I need more of a plan? Like how long can the novel go on before I need this guy to come back into the story? He's got such a small part now, but I don't want people to forget him. Can I go 50 pages before he comes back in the story? I don't really have an outline nor know how I'm going to bring this guy back nor what his story is. But maybe it's going to be great.

2. Moon

Moon See ya space cowboy... Contributor

Hmm. To be honest, if your character has a reason for telling that story, I think you should know about it(the reason, that is), but leave everyone else in the dark. Focus more on the story within the story and see how it relates to your overall story. Maybe there is a point to be made about an upcoming important event?

For me, I do like to add things that weren't planned beforehand so long as they fit the narrative.

3. Night Herald

Night Herald Malfunctioning clockwork person Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    "The Knight" by Gene Wolfe
    No more than all the time.

Look, if you make sure this guy makes one hell of an entrance, it doesn't really matter if he's forgotten in the intervening 50 pages. People are going to be reminded when he shows up again, and will be eager to see what he's all about. I've had this feeling in many novels, when somebody I've forgotten about shows up way later, and usually it's exciting. I like a bit of an off-screen enigma.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    deadrats likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Thanks. And I think you are totally right. And I want readers to be eager to see what he's all about when he shows up later in the story. I feel much better about this now.

Night Herald likes this.
  5. Night Herald

Night Herald Malfunctioning clockwork person Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    "The Knight" by Gene Wolfe
    The thing to remember is that not everybody can be on stage at once. I love putting these outliers and wild cards into my stories, so I can blindside the audience and put on a real fireworks display when needed.

deadrats likes this.