1. mgoblue424

mgoblue424 New Member

hammering out a flow to the plot......

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mgoblue424, Apr 4, 2010.

Hi, new guy here.... but actually I have talked to someone with connections to the media I went to school with, and she seemed to think my ideas may have some legs....

but as to my real question- I came up with how I see the story going- fairly easy as it's based on what I went through. Would posting just the list of the chapters I hammered out be a good idea? Would like to get some feedback on things, including what people think of the titles. I;m trying to make them "juicy" and make people interested in the story while not giving away too much info..... what can I say, I learned that from my third grade teacher... :redface:

And not that I have to say this amongst semi-pros, but please don't offer your story to give the person I know "in the know...." I have plenty of other things to worry about than pressing someone else's story to my friend....

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Forget chapter lists. Like any kind of story summary, a chapter list is useless to get an opinion on.

Don't worry about the chapter titles, either. Most authors of adult fiction don't even use them anymore. Besides that, just like the book title, you can change chapter titles up until you submit the manuscript.

If you do post for critique, only put up a short excerpt or two. Don't jeopardize first publication rights, or you will damage your chances of selling your story. A short excerpt is enough to reveal bad writing habits, and that should be your primary concern. Problems you find and fix in the excerpt very likely can be found throughout your manuscript.

Consider selecting your excerpt from a part of the book where you are having the greatest difficulties. Most people tend to post the very beginning, which also isn't a bad idea. Your initial pages are the first impression you offer a publisher or a reader, and you can lose them forever with a weak opening.

3. mgoblue424

mgoblue424 New Member

I'd only put up the titles.... I kinda like how the star wars trilogies had their chapter titles done.....

I like the idea as that's how I see the story unfolding- it is based on my experiences...

OK, let me get them on here... I hope they are vague enough, but also titillating enough to get people interested... ;-)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

There really is no point whatsoever in putting up the chapter titles.

5. mgoblue424

mgoblue424 New Member

OK.... my working title is "Michigan Meechin: A story of Life Overseas, and how to live it.... or not."

And here are the chapter titles:

1. A Descent into the Maelstrom. Or is it?
    2. My own personal Gandolph
    3. The experience of a lifetime, or maybe that's what they want you to think
    4. Facing Racism, first hand... from Jango Fett himself
    5. From Sane to Michin, in one easy sentence....
    6. Depression is a global phenomenon... or at last Trans-Atlantic
    7. Everyone goes to Ric's.... or O'Brien's.
    8. And Speaking of the Usual Suspects...
    9. Putting an osuSKS fan in their place for Christmas
    10. The Kissy Face FInger Problem, and Turning a Negative Into a Positive
    11. Fittingly, "K" is a strike in an AMERICAN sport
    12. The Year of Bliss Begins...beginning with Putting Jango in his place
    13. Another Brilliant Idea I had in College, and didn't apply in any meaningful way
    14. Real Life Applications of Other Stuff You Learn in College
    15. Accused of Favortism Because one likes Acceptable Behavior.
    16. The Conundrum of the High School kids
    17. A world where I'm the exotic one? Get Out!
    18. "Lost in Translation," the home game

And if you can guess what all this is in reference to, you get one Steve point! :D

6. mgoblue424

mgoblue424 New Member

oops... :redface:

I kist want to to give a taste as to how I'd like to see it unfold... I like to use a lot of humor in writing.... what should be shown in a forum such as this.... and yes... I know I gotta check out the other parts of the forum

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

1. if, as it seems, this is a non-fiction memoir, chapter titles are ok... otherwise, they're only used for fiction aimed at the YA market...

2. you need to upgrade your spelling

3. mostly too cutesy... and there's too much reference to stuff from other media that all readers won't get...

hope you're not sorry you asked, but when you ask for opinions here, you get 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the awful truth' from some members [me, most of all!]...

love and hugs, maia

ps: and, as cog has said, no one can tell if your book is any good just by the titles...

8. mgoblue424

mgoblue424 New Member

good, thanks for the input. so what do people offer here if they try to keep a lid on what is shown? I told my friend in the media and the high concept of "Good MOrning Vietnam" meets "Lost In Translation" had an appeal to her. And she knows my writing from long ago, so I have good feelings for things.....

But we'll see when I can talk F2F later this summer.

9. Ghosts in Latin

Ghosts in Latin New Member

I agree w/ Cogito. I once read a story by Ray Bradbury about a boy who wanted some shoes, but his father wouldn't buy them for him. He had to raise the money himself—so he saved some money, and made a deal with the gentleman who owned the shoe-shop. Then he bought shoes.

It's an absolutely amazing story. ;)

10. mgoblue424

mgoblue424 New Member

so basically Yoda is correct once again.... "do, or do not... there is no try."

Just like "House of the Long Shadows." I'll lock myself in a house for a weekend, hammer out a best seller and hallucinate the whole time..... sounds like a plan. :cool:

11. EileenG

EileenG New Member

I've got to say, none of those titles filled me with any urge to go out and read the finished book. They feel too much like the author is showing off, rather than telling a cracking good story.

It may be prejudice. I used to work with a journalist who always used titles like those for his pieces. He just couldn't produce anything on time, the right length, or with straightforward English in it.