1. Tim Kinane

Tim Kinane New Member

I've fallen out of love with my end idea but still like the base, help!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Tim Kinane, Nov 21, 2020.

Hi!

So I began writing a book last year about a young adult finding his way in a medieval-fantasy world setting. I was going to take the book in the direction of a secret society that works to end conflicts and disputes throughout his kingdom, but I wound up shelving the book and not looking at it for quite some time. I'm revisiting it now and really like the foundations I set up, but I just don't like the ending anymore. The first few chapters are fast paced with a town being raided and destroyed, intense storms over the high seas, and some mischievous character development for the MC. I want to keep a lot of what I have but I am so lost for direction moving forward now. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I would take stock of where you leave the main character and what situation they are in. Are they in a terrible situation they have to get out of?

If yes, just explore what that character will attempt and what the consequences are, see where it naturally leads.

if no, put them in a terrible situation!

see where it leads...

Tim Kinane likes this.
  3. Tim Kinane

Tim Kinane New Member

Hmmm, I didn't leave the MC in a precarious spot but I did leave the door open for a bit of tragedy. That may actually gear the story pretty well, I didn't really think much about that! Thanks!

4. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

I have found in life, that midway through a lofty project whether it be woodworking, metalworking or even a book, I get discouraged. Yet life has also taught me, that my greatest projects, in the end, always ended up being projects that had discouragement in the middle.

It is kind of counterintuitive, but if I have a project now that is languishing, it is almost encouraging because it means with a little more thought and pushing through, it will be really good.

Medazza likes this.