1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Contributor Contributor

J.T.'s Attempt at a Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by J.T. Woody, Sep 23, 2019.

I'm terrible at journaling and blogging, but here's hoping that this one will keep me focused on my current projects. They all have pretty much working-titles:

The Diadasan Chronicles
    Primary setting is on a planet called Diadasos. Humans in this universe pretty much stay away from aliens. They conquer planets and create human cities and treat the aliens like they are the infestation. The series is about the relationships between the local Diadasi and the humans that settled on the planet.
    started circa 2014.

"Book 1" - 112,941 words
    I've recently started breaking it up into parts to make it easier to "jump around" and edit/add scenes and filler. I will combine the into a single doc when I am done.
    I'm currently working on "part 1" which is introducing characters and conflict. "Part 1" is an independent document and currently at 12532 words

"Book 2" - 22,810
    takes place 20 years after the events of the first book. I have written a few key scenes, but nothing in order yet.

"Book 3"- 15,517
    takes place 5 years after the last book. Again, a few scenes and notes telling me where i want to take it.

"Book 4" 11,017

"Book 5" -49,804
    Takes place a few hundred years before the events of the first book. It is before humans came to Diadasos and focuses on the native inhabitants. Their beliefs and way of living prior to human contact. I work on this one just as much as I work on Book 1.

The Island Trilogy
    Started 2019. word count: 24,672
    Though I've only started "Book 1" i know I'd like to continue this universe. Unlike the Diadasn Chronicles, I have not started outlining the other 2 books.
    MC is a girl living on an island. She's never left the island and wants to leave it and see the world. Her father and best friend come and go as they please, but her father has always told her to stay on the island where its safe. Well, her father relents and she goes with him and his crew to a neighboring island thats like the resort hub of the main land. There she finds out that her dads a pirate, he's not her real dad, her mother killed herself shortly after the MC's birth and... the biggest part, the MC was the product of rape.
    She then leaves everything she's ever known to go to the mainland and figure out the events leading to her birth and to kill her bio father. Theres magic in this world too. Not "abra kadabra" magic but natural abilities from the time of old that once were common but are now lost. the MC realizes she has the ability one of these abilities that came from her mother's people.

"Brown Book"
    titles because I started writing it in a brown notebook.
    2 notebooks and a hand full of paper later, its "finished." I'm in the long boring process of typing it all up and editing as I go. TYPED Word Count 11,719
    This one is about a recluse young woman who has anxiety about leaving her apartment and is a little OCD. She works from home. She finds herself engaged to a man that used to be her boss when she was an intern, but he was her first boyfriend so she automatically attaches herself to him even though he's not the nicest person. At her engagement party, she has a panic attack and flees to the basement to think about her options where she meets a bar tender also hiding out from the party. They immediately hit it off and even get a little intimate before she realizes she shouldn't go through with her engagement because if she really loved him, she wouldn't have made out with this stranger. The mysterious bar tender promptly disappears and the rest of the story is about the MC discovering how to live on her own but also her attraction to the man she met at the party that she cant stop thinking about and who pops up at random through out her life. That, and her ex has become very possessive and cant accept that it's over.

Sunday
    About a 10 year old girl named Sunday living with her grandma in North Carolina in the '50s. Her mother, who had been absent for the entirety of her life, moves back in. She'd had Sunday at 15 and suffered from postpartum depression and tried to drown Sunday. The mother had been in an asylum ever since. Sunday has always fantasized about her mom as being this beautiful amazing woman, but its mostly to keep the towns
    folks rumors from hurting her too much. The rumor is that her mother got around and "got what was coming to her" and that Sunday is an abomination and shouldn't have been born. Anyways, her mom comes home and Sunday doesn't really see her as a mom but as this weird woman living in her house. The story is a coming of age story focusing on the relationship between Sunday, her mom, and her grandmother. Sunday also discovers the events of her brith and realizes her mother was poorly portrayed in the rumors.
    This started out as a short story of about 3 pages back in 2013. I dug it up last year, reread it, and decided I wanted to expand on it. Word Count 15,845

Millennium
    Also started as a short story that I actually submitted this year. I took it and aged the characters and switched around a few things.
    Earth is destroyed, and humans are forced to live in colonies where ever they can. my MC lives in a colony with his mother and adopted sister who has a mysterious past that she doesn't talk about. The MC believes his father and brother to have died on Earth as they couldn't get on the pod off the planet. Well, his older brother shows up after 15 years apart. The brothers are like night and day. The older brother is a soldier and the MC is a petty thief. The younger one thought everyone left on Earth had died. the older one reveals that he and their father had been living on Earth. the brothers, along with the adopted sister, leave the colony to figure out the grand conspiracy behind Earth's "destruction" and the true purpose of the colonies in space. Word Count 10,792

"Alien" (place holder name)
    This was actually started this week. Alien crash lands on earth with a team of "her" fellows to survey Earth for possible colonization. because of the crash landing they are separated along the gulf coast. out of desperation, due to injuries sustained upon landing and the unfamiliar air, the MC takes the body of a girl she finds OD'ing in a condemned building (instead of a big, strong healthy human like she had planned) and assumes her identity. The girl, it turns out, is from a well off family with major issues that, while the MC is convalescing, gets roped into. She grows attached to her body's younger sister who is on the spectrum, and who is the only one to figure out that she is an alien (she notices that the MC's heart beat is different and can tell them apart by its rhythm). The MC's main goal at first was to survey Earth and humans be damned, but then her goal shifts to protect the girl from another alien who has realized that she can tell the difference between human and aliens and wants to kill her.
    Word Count 791 New Word Count: 5,500

I have quite a fe "started" ones, but I've narrowed them down to these guys. I hope to narrow my focus even more, but I don't think I can ever just work on 1. I've tried that, and it just doesn't work for me.
    Anywho....we'll see!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    GaMeFreakJ and marshipan like this.
  2. J.T. Woody

Added another 339 words to "Alien" while I listen to SVU hocked up on cold medicine.

GaMeFreakJ and marshipan like this.
  3. J.T. Woody

Squeezed in another 758 words on "Alien" at work

marshipan and Catrin Lewis like this.
  4. J.T. Woody

added 2,017 words on "Alien" and am contemplating name changes for my 2 MC's...... I suddenly dont like their names.
    I'm also worried that my chapters are too short. this past chapter I finished was 3 pages.
    And I'm also worried that my protagonist is boring. She doesn't reveal too much about herself because she prefers not to think about things that she cannot change (like what has already happened) and prefers to focus on what is happening now and how it will impact her future.
    I did have her reflect a bit on her back story of being from a lesser class and being punished for shunning her assigned role in the community. Her punishment was to be left to die on Earth, but she figures out how to survive. She believes her species sorely underestimates the intelligence of "breeders" and their will to survive. This is what keeps her moving forward... to survive and somehow make it back to her people having completed the task that was assigned to the "men" that marooned her on Earth.

I'm trying to flesh out a bit more of her personality. For some reason, I'm finding it a challenge. I think I shot myself in the foot when I started writing it in first person POV where my descriptions are limited to what the MC sees, hears, and knows. This is my second WIP that is in first person POV, with "Sunday" being the first, yet I'm not having as many issues with writing that one....

marshipan likes this.
  5. J.T. Woody

I've been trying to write on these WIPs... but mostly I've just been re-reading them and tweaking a few things.

I have a 2,000 word "intro" to my semester's big research project coming up and my thoughts have been occupied by outlining, interviewing, and researching.
    I'm pretty good a multitasking with my WIPs, but one thing I cant do, in terms of my writing, is multitask with writing fiction and non-fiction(or research papers). For some reason, my brain compartmentalizes writing academically and writing creatively.

marshipan likes this.
  6. J.T. Woody

[​IMG]

marshipan likes this.
  7. J.T. Woody

I have my conclusion paragraph left on my research paper and a butt load of editing, because I'm pretty sure I went over the word count.
    It's due this weekend, so after I turn it in, I can feel less guilty writing creatively :)

8. J.T. Woody

1521 words on Alien. I'm starting to fizzle out on this one. I may just eliminate it from the WIP list.

9. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Or just set it on the back burner till it gets its sizzle back?

J.T. Woody likes this.
  10. J.T. Woody

Upped the word count on Island.
    I am having a bit of trouble with it, though... I might just cut a scene entirely.
    It starts off introducing characters A and B as they escape from being hanged. They make it across a desert to a port and hitch on a departing ship after narrowly escaping capture.

The next chapter picks up over a decade after their escape with different characters. My problem is, I feel like I am writing too much about characters A and B. The point is to learn more about them and their true identities later on. Their escape was supposed to be left vague.
    But I thought it was TOO vague and added more on how character B snuck around during the night and, pretending to be someone else, secures their passage on a ship.
    Ugh! I'm definitely going to cut the scene. It shouldnt be important HOW they found the ship, just that they got on the ship and escaped.... right?

11. J.T. Woody

Added 940 words on Island.
    I'd like to add more, but I ended up doing research on maritime terminology. Found a cool pirate website that lists types of ships most commonly used as pirate ships.
    I dont want to "yada yada" over stuff, but I have never been sailing before in my life so learning sailing terminology is like learning a completely different language. can the mast on a single mast large sloop support the weight of a full grown man???
    I dont know, but i wrote it! :supertongue:

12. J.T. Woody

jackpot!
    I found an "armed sloop training manual" complete with diagrams and a dictionary of terms written by the Maritime Heritage Alliance.
    I just wish I could print it out. makes it easier to make notes and flip back and forth between pages.
    My MC has never left her island before, and she now finds herself accompanying her dad and her best friend on a short sea excursion. Her dad tells her to stay out of the way, but her friend is teaching her ship terminology.
    So, the manual helps me tremendously.