1. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

Jackass

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Justin Ladobruk, Sep 6, 2018.

What? No, not you. Me. Yeah...

I'm an old member returning. Please do not look into my past posts, 25 year old me was an asshole. Well... I'm still an asshole but... a more refined asshole.

Recently I learned that I was abused as a child and into my adulthood, and this led to severing ties with the vast majority of my relatives. This has allowed my mental health to improve significantly, very important for my wife and daughter.

As it turns out, I was always a creative type, but my relatives didn't believe in creation for creation sake. They believed in making money.

I married an artist and I've rediscovered my writing passion. I'm three chapters into a novel and just finished a short story in the same universe involving the past of a character in the novel. I have a good beta reader (librarian, book devourer) who goes through my work first, but as I've seen on Reddit and other forums, there are minor details that make or break someone's interest. I'm seeking to improve these minor details.

When getting critique, I tend to seek clarification through discussion, so don't take it the wrong way if it seems like I'm arguing with you. I already have someone very experienced heavily criticizing my work, so this seems to come down to difference of opinion and minor changes of detail for a shorter attention span audience (I have ADHD and mean this in the politest way possible... although it's still kind of sad that the guy with ADHD has a longer attention span and more patience than an average reader).

I've created a science fantasy universe for my story telling and all takes place in that universe. Fantasy species meet particle cannons and high technology is only functional thanks to magic.

Question for any mods: I contributed to critiquing other works in the past, so an explanation of how the 2 for 1 system currently applies to me would be appreciated.

Siberian likes this.
  2. Siberian

Siberian Member

What happened in the past was unfortunate to say the least but we're all here to help you with your writing or anything else you might need. I'm interested to see what your book is about and offer any help for it as well as get your advice. Glad to have you back :)