1. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

JE Loddon's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by JE Loddon, Mar 21, 2017.

I've been procrastinating today, and didn't get much done yesterday. Thought this might help motivate me.

I'm currently editing Book Two in my Galactic Division series. I'm planning to publish it onto Kindle on 30 March, so feel like I'm a little behind. I'm going to devote the whole of Thursday to it. That's my longest day, and I find I gather momentum as i go, so it's better than a couple of hours each day.

My current WIP is the first novel in a new series, in the Cyberpunk genre. I'm a quarter of the way through the first draft at 21k. I'll track my word count through this as a way to shame myself. My target for writing is 5K a day, between this and a couple of other things I have going.

2. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Active Member

Wow, 5k a day is a lot. o-o Good luck!

3. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I write quick, though it means a lot more editing is required. I am currently doing it full-time, though, so that's only really 1k an hour.

4. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

5k is one hell of a target for every day, but if you can manage it then that's awesome. I hit 6 one time but usually like to settle for 3 in the weeks I manage to maintain the fire.
    How do you mean that you'll track your word count to shame yourself? I actually have no idea how long a novel "should" be but I figure it's as long as it is.

Either way it sounds like you're doing great. Cyberpunk is an interesting genre.

5. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I'll track on here how many words I've written per day. I'm treating it like a job at the moment, so if I'm not hitting enough words per day, it means I'm not focusing enough.

6. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Thought I should update this. I've been editing since I set it up, so no K's written...

7. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

So it turns out, I forgot about this thread. So, since the last post, I've published my second book onto Kindle, and I'm now writing my third. I'm at about 35K. I've now amended my daily target from 5K to 4K, based on the rhythm I've developed over the past week.

8. Stormburn

Stormburn Active Member

Could you comment on some of the behind the scenes work that went into your books? Your 1st book is on my to read list. Where a certain inspiration came from or a technique that has work really well for you? I'm learning that approaches to writing; from story telling to plotting, are as individual as the writer.
    Thanks! Godspeed!

9. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

The Galactic Division series started from seeing space marine-type stories in videogames, movies, and books. The heroes seem to always be Arnie-style action heroes who are already tearing alien heads off from the beginning. That doesn't really interest me. I want to see average people being put into extreme situations, and exploring how they react. The first Galactic Division book was a look at what would happen if Joe Average was taken from his home and forced to train as a soldier. It could have been a very long book looking at the training process in great detail, but I didn't think that would hold the average reader's interest. I wanted to introduce the characters and the situation in the first book, then escalate things in the second.

In retrospect, not enough happens in that first book. The second is much better. I did learn a lot about plotting and pacing from the first book. Most of all, though, I learnt that character is what drives a story. I have a planning method I use, but I let the characters change the story as and where necessary as they develop. So the technique that I've really discovered is to use interesting characters with differing outlooks, and throw them together with a common goal. Conflict will naturally arise, but they'll also find common ground. That's what happens in real life, and it makes the characters in my books both more believable and relatable.

Stormburn likes this.
  10. Stormburn

Stormburn Active Member

I appreciate your response. I'm currently write in the Fantasy genre. But, the first two books I read as a young boy was 'God is My Co-Pilot' and 'Incredible Victory' by Walter Lord. Lord's account of Midway is brilliant as showing, as you said :
    That is exactly the approach I'm taking in the context of a fantasy story. I would say that there is as much influence from 'Red Badge of Courage' as there is 'Lord of the Rings'. I'm looking forward to reading your books.
    Godspeed!

11. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Easter school holidays have killed my momentum. I'm not able to write with people in the house, and it's been a good two weeks of struggle. I'm at 55K of my current novel, and now schools are going back, I'm hoping to be done with this draft by the end of the week.

12. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I did 5K yesterday. Today is going a lot more slowly. I got to the end of the first draft, but there are gaps where I skipped over tricky sections, which I now have to fill in. I won't do the skipping thing again, this is hard work. Book is currently at 62K.

13. Stormburn

Stormburn Active Member

Great job. It's great to see the postings on the 'Progress Threads' and how various writers works. Thanks!

JE Loddon likes this.
  14. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Contributing Member

Me neither. I love you all, but go away!

15. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I've not been very good at keeping this updated! The first draft is now finished, and I'm in the process of editing.

16. Stormburn

Stormburn Active Member

Always good to see an update!

17. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I've posted the first chapter over in the Novels section of the forum.

18. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Still editing Thrall State Book One. I've also posted the first chapter of my new online serialised novel at my author website.

19. Stormburn

Stormburn Active Member

Both London Wall and Thrall State seem interesting. I'm curious about your approach to writing a serialized novel.

20. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

No great secret, unfortunately. It's a story I was working on a couple of years ago, and never quite finished. It's about two thirds written. It's all planned out. I knew I didn't have time to sit and finish it, and get it edited. But I realised I could just edit a chapter a week this way, and write a couple of thousand words here or there. It's a way to get people to make return visits to my author website, without having to write fairly inane blog posts to provide content.

Stormburn likes this.
  21. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

OK, I'm now onto writing Galactic Division book 3. I've struggled to focus on it the last couple of days, so it's back to the progress journal to help force me to get on with it!

Stormburn likes this.
  22. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

My kid was sick last week, and this week I've been procrastinating like crazy, so I've pretty much gotten nothing done. I'm starting a target of 3K a day, and will hopefully be able to steadily increase that. On a more positive note, I've come up with titles for Galactic Division books 4, 5, and 6...

Stormburn and Dracon like this.
  23. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

3.5K words today. That's a good start!

24. Stormburn

Stormburn Active Member

Great to hear!

JE Loddon likes this.