1. Jenissej

Jenissej Member

Jenissej's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Jenissej, May 17, 2018 at 8:52 PM.

So here I am, lazy as fuck, with a wagon load of ideas, characters and totally irrelevant world details stuck in the back of my head, trying to get it all to work.
    Time to write is scarce and progress slow so I'm hoping this journal will help me stay on track and not abandon this project like all the others I've ever started.

This far, I've managed to decide on one story idea I want to finish (this is huge for me). No title yet but in my head I keep calling it the Acolyte's Story.

The acolyte in question is an accomplished student at the realm's greatest university, learning the arts of historiography, medicine and magic.
    She gets sent out to deliver an ancient artifact to a fellow scholar in a far away city.
    Of course, nothing can ever be easy so on the way there, the artifact is lost and trying to recover it (or at least not make everything worse than it is), she gets sucked into the city's ongoing underworld feuds.
    She'll have to bargain with thieves, tag along with assassins and adjust her moral concepts quite a bit to stay on her feet.

The setting is losely based on ancient egypt, an advanced ancient culture with a technology level of about 100 b.c. real-world and some fantasy alchemy and a restricted magic system thrown in.

I have a basic outline with some key events ready and wrote some minor scraps. I'm not entirely sure how all of it will connect yet- hopefully it will all fall together as the story progresses (yeah, totally not fooling myself there). And there is still the big question of how to to end it.

I'm not aiming to get this published. Of course it would be fantastic to get something I created out there for other people to read and (ideally) appreciate but currently, all I want to accomplish is to write a complete story that I would like to read. Gotta start small and see where it leads.

Dracon and izzybot like this.
  2. Jenissej

Jenissej Member

Entry zero:

Created this journal instead of working on my actual project. Or on the essay I have due.

At least I wrote something.

izzybot likes this.
  3. Dracon

Dracon Senior Member

It sounds very interesting; there aren't too many fantasies set in the ancient world. The key checkpoints should guide you along your way over the course of your writing. Thinking about endings - consoder most of all the goals of the main character(s). What do they want,and why? How do they develop over the course of the story (i.e., their character arc). Good luck to you!