1. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Job Options

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheApprentice, Mar 28, 2014.

So I am 20 and have no degree. The only real experience I have is working a cash register and I really want to avoid doing this again at all costs, and waiting tables is pretty much the same thing but more difficult. I know one other option is the military, but I will only do that as a last resort.

So, writers, if you would be so kind, please throw me some other options.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

When you say degree, do you mean college degree or high school degree?

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Factory work, technical school, bartending school, lawn care, delivery man, taxi driver

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Are you in the US? What state?

Start your own yard care business. The guy that works our neighborhood is too busy to take all the jobs he's offered. And he makes good money, but he works really hard. If he didn't he wouldn't be successful.

I imagine housekeeping could be just as lucrative.

I make a bit on the side buying stuff at yard sales and thrift stores and selling it on EBay. It takes a lot of work to get good at it but once you get it down, it can be profitable.

If you are willing to get a few months of education as something like a nurses' aide, you can work anywhere, turnover is high. It takes the right kind of person to do that job but some people love it.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Any chance you are genuinely, honestly, REALLY bilingual?

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

What's that got to do with it! For goodness sake, man.

Tree surgeon.

7. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Prostitution
    Dog walking
    postman
    dog-walking, postman, prostitute?

8. TheApprentice

No I ain't bilingual. I could never do very well in my foreign language classes. I took 3 years of Latin and barely remember it. I live around a lot of Latinos and barely understand Spanish at all.

9. GingerCoffee

Dog care businesses can also be lucrative.

10. Lewdog

I bet you know what "esse" and "gringo."

11. Garball

Three out of the four were serious suggestions

12. Garball

How are you at video games and flight simulators?

13. Lewdog

Too soon man! Too soon!

14. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Had The Apprentice answered yes to be being genuinely bilingual, I would have given him/her information for a company where I once worked, Language Line Solutions, where he/she could be trained to work as an over-the-phone interpreter. It's one of the few such companies that has a training program and doesn't ask that the individual have formal education in interpreting. It's a work-at-home job.

jazzabel likes this.
  15. GingerCoffee

I had nothing to add to your other suggestions. I'd guess applying for a USPS job was about as likely as winning the lottery. Prostitution isn't for everyone.

But the dog thing, man, the times I've had to board my dogs, that cost big bucks, and reservations. The doggie hotels are expensive and full, at least around here. And when I was busy with work, I'd have paid someone to walk my dogs but I'm paranoid now since one of my buddies was almost killed by an off leash dog. But not everyone is paranoid and I would have hired dog walkers before that happened.

16. TheApprentice

Pretty good.

But aint no jobs value video game skillz.

17. Lewdog

Or @TheApprentice could move to Washington and become a locksmith. I know someone that has a problem with locking theirself out of the house.

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You're 20 and presumably healthy. Get a job that demands a strong back. Work for a moving company. Deliver furniture and appliances for big-box stores. Deliver those big water-cooler water bottles. Drive a UPS truck or a FedEx truck. Be a baggage handler at the airport. Etc.

Andrae Smith and GingerCoffee like this.
  19. GingerCoffee

OMG I seriously locked myself out the other day. Did I post that in the unhappy thread? I didn't call a locksmith though. I ended up breaking the handle off the sliding glass door, literally.

20. Lewdog

Yes, I was referring to you. :D

21. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Find something you'd like to do and get a degree. Even a small one, but something that can open a door for you. Sometimes we just have to add to our qualifications, but give it some serious thought first. Anyway, you are too young and you can start something now. Don't limit yourself.

I suppose that you asked writers, hoping for a writing job suggestion. As you can see, no tips on that one.

22. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Well what is your highest level of education? Do you have a diploma or GED? Some college? Also, what have you been doing in the last couple of years? You have work experience which will help you get a foot in the door. At least more so than someone like me with no work experience.

From my own experience, looking for a job will probably really hard if you want to void entry level jobs. As mentioned above, so much depends upon where you live (state, city, region) as well as your level of mobility (can you travel to your place of work?).

If you are avoiding cashier and waiting tables, I would suggest something physical like retail or grocery stock room. Yard work is also great if you're good at it. Plenty of people would rather hire a yard man than do it themselves (I always enjoyed it, myself... too bad there's no grass out here in the desert). Airport baggage is another good option if you have an airport near you. Construction might be the place for you if you have some skills.

If you don't mind having to work a register every now and then, you can apply at retail stores like JC Penny, Ross, Old Navy, Kohl's, Target, etc. You could also apply to work at a movie theater. You could probably find work at a local YMCA or something if your are good for kids. The local library might need some aids.

Whatever the case, if you are not in college, I suggest finding an industry and company that you wouldn't mind staying at for a year or two until you save up some money. Staying longer will make you look better if you have to apply for new jobs. But definitely spend some time figuring out what you like to do, because you're going to be stuck with entry level jobs.

Once you have a job, figure out a career path. I take it you wouldn't want to spend the rest of your life as an usher at a movie theater (although, there are some people who do, like this guy in my home town, who has now become a minor local "celebrity"). This means you'll be looking for a career, since most people do not stick with their first company forever.

Think about what you want to do with your life. Find your passion, then fill out your FAFSA, apply to a JC, take some classes and get your associates. You'll qualify for more jobs that way, and then you can transfer to a uni. to focus on your career of choice. If you choose a trade, then go to trade school while you're working.

I wish I could tell you there's line up just for you, but the truth is, with minimal work experience and a hard economy, whatever there is probably won't come easily. I'm still looking, AND I'm getting passed over for high school students with NO life experience... >:/

23. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Do you have any unusual talents? Can you sing, for instance? I earned a few bucks busking in Victoria, BC back in the early 90s. All I needed was a guitar, my voice, my repertoire of songs, and a few square feet of Inner Harbour space. I didn't need anyone to hire me; I just kinda hired myself.

Can you draw or paint? Can you set yourself up as a portrait artist? A photographer? A friend of mine in Victoria established his own photography business, based on his hobby. It turned into a career for him.

Find out what you can do that few others can, or few others can do as well as you. Then do it. Go into business for yourself. It's a bit discouraging at first, because nobody knows you, but it can turn into something good. :)

jazzabel and Andrae Smith like this.
  24. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

You guys ll have really cool life experiences! I want sum... ha ha

These are all really good ideas. I never thought about these because I don't have any of these talents or skills. And what great encouragement!

And hey, @TheApprentice, if you're a strong enough writer, you might be able to set yourself up as a private tutor or proofreader, or as a technical writer somewhere. :)

TheApprentice likes this.
  25. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I'm in your exact position, but I'm five years older than you.
    I've been in and out of university for years because depression and anxiety makes it impossible for me to study and attend classes, still I hope I will make it one day.
    Wanted to join the military to give my life a radical change, but 25 is the age limit in Italy and I n Sweden I need a Swedish high school degree (the two countries I'm citizen of).

There is no easy way to find an enjoyable job without sweating, I'm afraid.
    Sometimes taking the first offer is a good start just to get in the right mindset, and then moving from there you keep searching for something you like.

I was thinking about becoming a truck driver, I think I would enjoy driving long stretches of road on my own.

You just have to find out what kind of person you are.
    Do you enjoy working with people?
    Do you like working by yourself?
    Manual labour?
    Pencil pushing?