1. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Joe Abercrombie!?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Daydream, May 10, 2011.

So I've just finished The Heroes by him and liked it so much that I instantly bought Best Served Cold and The Blade Itself. Am currently half way through Best Served Cold and LOVING it!

Anyone else read a few of his books?

I just love his style of writing...such brutal detail on war, betrayal, hate, etc..

His war scenes make you feel like your actually there. It's also nice how he doesn't just focus on the one hero running through a battlefield hacking and slashing while the rest of the army is the wallpaper. Instead he puts the effort into making it feel like theres a brutal and bloody war happening between thousands of men...and a few women :p

2. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Well, besides reading it backwards, you're off to a good start! Abercrombie is my favorite fantasy author currently. Above GRRM, yes.

He is superb, his characters and narrative both highly compelling.

3. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Yeh haha! I'm currently in Germany for one year so my selection of English books is quite small! Just happened to stumble across The Heroes. Had to order the rest online! So worth it! :)

4. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

I've read all of Joe's fantasy books, and I agree, they are amazing :D! I liked George R. R. Martin as well, but around the 4th book I got a little bored (not sure why...). If you like Joe Abercrombie try reading Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind series.

Joe knows how to make every character interesting in their own right, and while all are likeable, they also all have flaws...I think they are flaws that everyone has at one point or another, which makes it compelling.

Don't forget to read The Blade Itself series! I noticed you picked up the last three and forgot the first three?

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Great books. Best Served Cold is my favorite, but I haven't read Heroes yet.