Tags:
  1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Journalists - embedded and/or not

Discussion in 'Military Fiction Discussions' started by Lifeline, Jul 1, 2017.

A new research topic: anyone of you know about any books/films about war correspondents? I have read 'Dispatches', and just ordered 'War reporting for cowards'. I watched 'Only the dead' (that was one docu worth a whole lot!).

Any other resources you can recommend?

Anything you want off your chest with regard to journalists? I'm all ears/eyes ;)

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"War" by Sebastian Junger (that's the book that goes with Restrepo), also "A breed of heroes" by Alan Judd which is a novel but has a lot of good stuff on the soldier/journo relationship

When I was in the army the men used to say that the reason they were called "embeds" was that that was what you wanted to do with a bayonet after 5 minutes of listening to the posh boy shite.... officers were more diplomatic and would give them at least fifteen minutes :D

in NI you got two sorts of journalists - those that thought the army could do no wrong , who were tiresome because they constantly talked hyperbole which didn't describe the dirty little conflict and those that thought the 'army of occupation' could do no right - they were tiresome for obvious reasons.

In Kosovo we never saw a journalist out in the sticks - they were too busy hanging around brown nosing the brass (senior officers) and UN diplomats

Lifeline likes this.