1. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Multiculturalism

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PrincessGarnet, Dec 3, 2007.

Do you see as good thing or bad?- if mix, what are the good and bad points about it? Does it lead to social fragmentation? Or integration?

2. Raven

Raven Banned

people are people. Black white asian jap or any thing else. It depends on the people in the world we live in. I myself will treat any living human the same as Id like to be treat.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I don't have a problem with it. I love learning about other cultures.

4. lessa

lessa New Member

The problem I have with it is the imigrants come to a country and demand that we give up our customs and traditions.
    If I don't like someone it is because I don't like that person not that I don't like the entire nationality.
    Heck I married a heinz 57 so I guess I am an accepting person.
    I was raised in a family who treated everyone well until that person was not there and then the gloves came off.
    Which could be the reason my parents don't like my husband and sort of ignore my sons. They are of native Canadian decent.
    I do not tolerate people acting bigotted around me.
    Live and let live just don't ram your views down my throat. I may regurgitate it for you.

5. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I find intergration to be one of the most effective methods in tearing down racial and religious prejudices, we have so much to learn from one another.

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Agreed.

7. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I agree with you 100% there.

I also hate it when they cannot speak English/Australian or at least clearly enough for people to understand.

Other than that and Lessa's Points, I don't mind. We have red blood. It't not the skin that causes problems, it's ignorance and morons.

8. PrincessGarnet

but isn't the main problem with this idea of 'multicultured society' that politicians go on about - that integration is not happening, and so has lead to governments fund projects such as community centres, bilingual lessons, for specific ethnic groups, which actual lead to segregation?

Also I believe that there should be one rule of law - and multiculturalism can get in the way of this, as in the UK, the law states that men and women are equal therefore men cannot abuse women, but this is in contradiction with some religions and cultures, and because of 'multiculturalism' the gender inequalities cannot be challenge for fear of being called racist, and because they come under the banner of 'culture' it is in a way accepted.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

As far as I know in the US there is one rule of law. The US Constitution supercedes any religious or cultural law. The only time the US Constitution loses is in jury trials when there are a bunch of fools who don't understand the law around. I don't blame that on multi-culturalism but on people who probably shouldn't be on a jury in the first place.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

Makes one wonder what life without religion would be like.

11. Eoz Eanj

It's a two way thing, we're only human and it's only natural for us to group ourselves with who and what we find most familar. I think it's a matter of time, if you give two different cultural groups the opportunity, rather than the obligation to associate with on another, then the notion of intergration should work out eventually.

12. PrincessGarnet

Well so does the UK law, but a politician couldn't come out and condemn/challenge the treatment of women by one cultural group or religious group, so it's in a way accepted which could perhaps stop integration?

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Integration is probably one of the areas the government jsut needs to stay out of. Its not something that can be forced its something that needs to be given time. Politicians who interfere with it probably hinder the effort more than they help (Yes Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, and the Liberal Media I'm looking at you!).

14. PrincessGarnet

Well surely generations down the line it's still not happening, so I really don't see how it could just happen 'eventually'.

15. Eoz Eanj

Well, from a simple observation where I live, there sure as might is less division between the cultures than there was fifty years ago, so that just indicates to me that the 'mixing' of cultures seems to be working to some extent regarding the abolishment of racial and religious segregation.

16. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

If a group chooses not to associate with others its not fair or just to force them too. I hate rascism and all that but if someone wants to be rascist they have that choice (And I likewise, will choose not to associate with them).

17. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

In my mind, multiculturalism is a wonderful thing, whereas political correctness is the bane of society. Multiculturalism implies many cultures coexisting together, whereas political correctness represses all cultures for the sake of not offending them. It winds me up.

18. Word Smith

Word Smith New Member

I agree with Banzai on this one. What is a politically correct action or term for one group or culture can often be politically incorrect for another, which implies that certain cultures should be treated differently. Multi-culturalism is a great thing in my opinion, and I believe that our cultures will only become more integrated over time.

Because I live in an area where many people speak a languange other than English, and more than half of the population is billingual, I have a somewhat unusual perspective. A large portion of my city speaks only Spanish, and while communication can be annoying, I believe that I am equally responsible for any frustration that arrises. I know that a large portion of people speak Spanish in my city, perhaps even the majority, and yet I have not learned Spanish. Now, who am I to say that they are responsible for ammending these miscommunications?

The most popular language around my area would have to be Tex-Mex, which is a combination of Spanish and English. Tex-Mex is a perfect example of what I believe will occur in all areas as time goes by. Parts of some cultures will be lost, others retained, and most adapted.

19. PrincessGarnet

some fair points, but when I lived in Spain I learnt Spanish, i attempted to speak Spanish, i learnt about the history and culture, and in less than a year i felt more involved and i guess integrated in the society. I never expected anyone to speak English or to learn about my culture etc.

My problem is that I don't see the host country's culture, language etc, as equal to that of the immigrants in that if you move to a country with different culture, language I think you have an obligation to learn the language and culture, history etc, whereas if the town I am staying in gets an influx of say Italians I don't see how I have an obligation to learn Italian. To be clear - I'm not saying that any culture, language is better than another, or that multiple identities are a bad thing.

20. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

I must say its a good thing. Im white and have lots of friends from different cultures- indian, muslim, chinese and white.

21. Word Smith

Word Smith New Member

Understood, and very well put, but the question I would like to raise is this:

Is it more important to adhere to the culture of the nation or the regional populace?

22. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The nation. Adhereing to your respective region over your nation was the cause of a completely uneccessary US Civil War and is the cause of problems with the Kurds in Iraq, and the Bosnia conflict of the early 90's. The nation is more important than any of its parts.

I agree Garnet. Why should I have to learn the language of others when they come to MY country? Its absurd. I have nothing against foreigners or immigrants but please. If your going to come to my country learn my language at the least. I would personally learn spanish, simply for the convince of knowing a foriegn language, but I'm not going to use it for my average everyday conversation.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

re 'nations':

24. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Maia, my head is going to asplode...

I loved the mock of the Pledge of Allegince though, brilliant!

25. pengwenn

pengwenn New Member

There was a school district somewhere who made the news last week when they sent home the calendars for the month of December. In a bid to be fair and inclusive they included the holidays of Hanukkah, Kwanza, Human Rights Day, Boxing day, and others along with the time off for winter break. What they failed to show on the calendar was Christmas. They said they didn't want to offend anyone who didn't celebrate that holiday due to religious beliefs.